• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

new truck

loneranger04

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
hey all im looking at getting a 2008 f150 with the 4.2L in it. its an awsome price and real good looking truck. only 7000 mile on it. does any one have any pros and cons they can share or advice/things to look for. all advice is welcome.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
The 4.2L is a pile of shit.

Honestly, they put them out of production in 09. They are weak, eat head gaskets like candy, suck fuel like a V8, and are expensive to fix.

Honestly you'd be better off finding a 92-96 in good shape, with a 300 I6 if you want a 6 cylinder.

later,
Dustin

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yeah My friend can barely pull 15MPG highway with his 98 f150. its an Auto. Even the 4.6 is kinda worthless in them... Our 07 with the 4.6 getts bogged down with 33's and a full bed of tires.

wvfarmboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
03 ranger 4.0
Make / Model
99 ranger 3.0
Transmission
Manual
Yeah My friend can barely pull 15MPG highway with his 98 f150. its an Auto. Even the 4.6 is kinda worthless in them... Our 07 with the 4.6 getts bogged down with 33's and a full bed of tires.
ya ford quit making f150s in late 96 when tahy changed body stile and done away with the 300 6 i kniow because i tried 3 newer trucks 4.2 no power 4.6 cant tell much difference sounds better and a nouther 4.2 thiught i missed something i didnt the old 4.9 runs better lasts longer and the body stile is just better but thats my openion

AKA John Deere

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
i will have to disagree with all these clowns not trying to talk shit but i got a 99 single cab f-150 with the 4.2 its got 191,000+ miles on it and still runs good the most major repair that i had to do on the truck was rebuild the suspension i rebuilt the motor at 175,000 just for the flying **** but its got a manuel in it and i can pull a 18 foot trailer loaded down with furniture with no problem of course it dont get up to speed like a V8 does but i take it slow with a load and there is alot of upgrades you can do to them also i am looking into slapping a m-112 supercharger on mine its off a 03-04 cobra look it up on supersixmotorsports.com they got some hellacious upgrades that i thought would never exist i just cant wait to do all the shit i want to without having to go with a V8 oh and i get like 400 miles or so to a full tank on the highway with the cruise set at 85 i will for sure find out thursday im driving from socal to oklahoma city so i will for sure let you know what my mileage is but i did do a few more things to the truck to

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals