• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'93 needs new tranny

jl9242

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I cannot find a good price on used transmission around here... can anybody help me out there???

I have a 1993 Ranger, 2.3, 2WD, 5 speed manual with 170K miles. I was hoping it was just the throw-out bearing, but when i dropped the tranny, the first 2 gears are chewed to bits.

I was expecting to pay anywhere from $250 to $400, but not $650!

Shawn_248

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Is it the original tranny? I've got the same truck and same mileage, and the man I bought it from said the trans had been replaced twice already. Don't think he knew how to drive a manual

locovaca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Your best bet is a U-Pull-It style yard, their prices are a lot cheaper. A little more work but I've seen posts where people got trannies for $75.

jl9242

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yes, original trans... replaced clutch pressure plate, throwout bearing, pilot bearing and slave about 3 years ago, which was only at 120K. I think I may have encouraged the damage because when I put it back together 3 years ago and topped of the fluid, I was told to put gear oil in there... not ATF...:dunno: I recently have found support for both in that trans, so I am still not sure what is supposed to be in it. I know Ford manual says to use ATF... but I don't know what difference it really makes, if any...

Also, those darn 3 rail plugs have been leaking on me for over a year now, and i just added fluid every couple of months. So, that probably didn't help either...

Engine doesn't burn oil and it was running great until this...

jl9242

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
This was my first stick to drive... I bought it for $1500 over 5 years ago and it had 72K then.

I am surprised it has lasted me this long with way I drive.

When I get it fixed, I will take it slower now because I cannot afford to go buy another vehicle right now.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals