• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Making My Own 3" BL

95XL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
7.3L Diesel
Transmission
Automatic
Ok, not sure where to post this, but this is as good a place as any...
I've seen this dicussed before, but I need some answers. I'm looking to make a body lift out of hockey pucks, before you start to reply with "no don't do it" I will tell you that I am convinced after reading many posts that pucks are very capable of dealing with the extremes presented to them under the body of a vehicle. On that note... I need to know somethings about the PA body lift.

The shifter extension, which end of the shifter does it go on, the end inside the tranny, or the end that the shift knob goes on? Also, I have a manual transfer case, does that shifter need any sort of extension?

The bolts, I've seen the bolts that hold the bed to the frame, they're more of lag screws. What do the bolts that hold the cab to the frame look like? How many threads per inch, whats the length, and diameter?

Steering column extension? I've heard some people say it's needed, others say it isn't, whats the deal?

How many pads are needed for the total lift. I know there's six under the bed alone. So, how many are under the cab/front fenders?

Bumper lift brackets?

I know this is a lot of info that I need, but I've never got a good look at a body lift before, any help is greatly appreciated.

89REDRANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Buick
Engine Size
3.3 V6
Transmission
Automatic
I know on my standard cab there are four body mounts right under the cab and two at the front of the core support. As for the bed I have no idea. That's what I know.

bottledgt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
jeez just spend the 100 bucks and be done with it. really its not worth it to make it when you get front bumper brackets and all the bolts too

95XL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
7.3L Diesel
Transmission
Automatic
I would spend the money, except I'm studying machining in College, and I need a senior project. So...

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
The project could be installing it...... That'd probably cut it.

predator

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I would spend the money, except I'm studying machining in College, and I need a senior project. So...

dont use hocky pucks. take some 2" square tubing and cut it at 3 inches in length, then unbolt one body bolt, take it to a hardware store and buy bolts just like except 3 inches longer.

total cost-probaly less than 20 bucks, besides, drilling holes in hockey pucks is a pretty poor attempt at a senior project. and i had one hockey puck underneath each of my body mounts in a 2wd ranger and 2 ended up cracking in half. spending some more time on your senior project will look better too...

bottledgt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
dont use hocky pucks. take some 2" square tubing and cut it at 3 inches in length, then unbolt one body bolt, take it to a hardware store and buy bolts just like except 3 inches longer.

total cost-probaly less than 20 bucks, besides, drilling holes in hockey pucks is a pretty poor attempt at a senior project. and i had one hockey puck underneath each of my body mounts in a 2wd ranger and 2 ended up cracking in half. spending some more time on your senior project will look better too...
no shit..how is drilling a hole in a hockey puck machining? at least make an attempt at being a machinist. and i dont think id do the square tubing thing unless i welded a 1/8 plate to the top and bottom first.then drill a hole through it

predator

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
no shit..how is drilling a hole in a hockey puck machining? at least make an attempt at being a machinist. and i dont think id do the square tubing thing unless i welded a 1/8 plate to the top and bottom first.then drill a hole through it

oops, i forgot to add that part, the body lift i made and installed on my 76 f-250 was made like that and i capped both ends with 1/8'' plate steel.

if you want some extra credit you could weld a piece of round tubing to the inside of the plate steel on the top and bottom for some extra support and a spot for the body bolt to inhabit, just weld one end of it to the plate steel, insert it into the 2x2x3''long peice and weld the other half to it.

(wishes i had a way to draw pics for you, it would be so much easier...

organic

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Definately get the steering extension. As for the shifter, I never installed the extension works fine. You'll have to modify the shift boot so it doesn't bind on ya. I also had to cut some of the floor away so the manual transfer could engage freely.

95XL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
7.3L Diesel
Transmission
Automatic
Alright, thanks for the input guys. I get what your saying with the tubing welded on the inside of the 1/8" plates. I think I'll do that instead.

BTW, I wasn't only making the BL for my senior project, I have other things I'm making as well, just the BL is part of it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals