• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Buying a Ranger...some BASIC questions...

TheRob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hi, everyone. I'm taking delivery of a 99 2WD Ranger with the 2.5L engine and the manual (M50D?) transmission. I have a lot of experience with FWD cars, but almost none with RWD vehicles or trucks. I want to change all of the fluids and just make sure it's all good to go as far as it can be when I get the truck. So, I have some basic questions:

1. Where is the drain plug for the transmission, and what is the fluid capacity?
2. Is there a transmission fluid filter somewhere, or is that just the automatics?
3. How often should the rear differential fluid be changed, what is the capacity, and what kind of oil is used?

I know these are super easy questions, but I just want to make sure everything is right. Thanks a lot, and I'm looking forward to this new engine!

-Rob

darkspork

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So, I have some basic questions:

1. Where is the drain plug for the transmission, and what is the fluid capacity?
2. Is there a transmission fluid filter somewhere, or is that just the automatics?
3. How often should the rear differential fluid be changed, what is the capacity, and what kind of oil is used?

I know these are super easy questions, but I just want to make sure everything is right. Thanks a lot, and I'm looking forward to this new engine!

-Rob
1. Crawl underneath the truck (driver's side), on the (driver's) side of the transmission you will see two plugs/bolts. A top one, and a bottom one. Bottom is drain, top is fill (my transmission actually has it labeled, I bet yours does too).
2. I believe its just the automatics. The drain plug is magnetic and most metal shavings eventually stick to the drain plug. Remember these transmissions use Mercon ATF (I'm using Valvoline Merc/Dex, and I prefer it to the Mobil 1 multi ATF fluid I put in it during the winter).
3. I'm not exactly sure on this one, but I bet somebody else could tell you. Maintenance schedule shows not very often at all (100,000 or so miles) but there are people on the forum that will tell you that it should be done much more often than that. I haven't done it yet, I would but the design sounds like it would make it a genuine hassle. I'll make an effort to do it by the end of the year though.

Hope this helps, hope you enjoy your truck.

TheRob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

That's exactly the info I was looking for! Thanks a lot. I know these trucks last forever if they're well taken care of, so I figure I should start it off right. Much appreciated, spork.

-Rob

darkspork

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That's exactly the info I was looking for! Thanks a lot. I know these trucks last forever if they're well taken care of, so I figure I should start it off right. Much appreciated, spork.

-Rob
I'm coming up on my 6th month owning my 2003. About to take it on a 1700 mile trip (each way, pulling a trailer on the way back). This truck is awesome. I have never owned or driven any other vehicle which provokes so much confidence that it will get me where I want to go, no matter what:

(This was one night's snowfall, had no problems getting around)

The truck always starts no matter how cold without making any of those slow starter noises or that cringe-worthy scraping sound a lot of smaller engines make during -30F cold starts. I don't foresee the truck ever letting me down for as long as I treat it well. Only complaint is gas mileage sucks with the 4.0, but you won't have that problem.

Last edited:

locovaca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Rear diff is 100k miles or if the pumpkin is submerged in water.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals