• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Hesitation Engaging in D '99 4R44E

Uly The Hermit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hi. I recently installed a used 4R44E in my '99 Ranger, 3.0L. I put a little over 1000 miles on it since it was installed. When I first put it in D it won't engage for about 3 seconds then seems OK. While driving it seems to shift a bit rough especially when it goes into passing gear but the shift points seem about right. There does not seem to be any hesitation engaging in 1,2, or R.

I read about replacing the seperator plate and valve body gasket but couldn't find out what the symptoms are for this problem. On another post someone's mechanic told them they had electronic problems with the engine causing shift problems but didn't get any more specific. I read about the throttle position sensor causing shift problems but my TPS seems to be OK. Would a band adjustment help this problem? What else should I be looking for? When I had the old trans in there someone told me that turning the idle stop screw could cause shifting problems. If so, how would I fix this? I had turned it because it would not idle (turned out to be the IAC) and put it back "about" where it was.

kulwap

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
On another thread I have been trying to find out my problem as well. It does't seem to be described very well, but here is what I found:

I did some more checking on that TSB and I found some more information, on TRS and other sources. First I think I found the TSB that I was interested in http://www.justanswer.com/uploads/fo...SB_02-13-8.pdf and I found a link from the TRS to this site which discusses it further http://www.ford-trucks.com/article/i...dy_Gasket.html . I think that my description of the problems and issues that I was facing were not accurate and the longer I have the truck (since I just purchased it) the more I understand it. Anyway what is described in the TSB as "delayed engaements" is what I seem to be experiencing. Not much of a metal on metal clunk as it is a clunk when the tranny finally engages. I plan on looking into this more.

Note that the link for the TSB describes some of the symptoms. If the link doesn't work I can email you the pdf file.

Uly The Hermit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks kulwap. It sounds like it needs a new main control assembly and seperator plate. Now I just need to find out what those are. I'm not getting what I would call a "clunk", it's more like a "lurch."

Bruce

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
These tranny's had forward control valve problems in the valve body, the bore will wear and the valve will stick..shift kits address this problem..transgo or transmission specialities(surperior shift kit).

Uly The Hermit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks Bruce--I'll look into the shift kits. I've read about them here and there but don't know what they are. Yet.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals