• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Supercharged 2.9???`

89REDRANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Buick
Engine Size
3.3 V6
Transmission
Automatic
I know, I know. Why the hell would somebody want to do it? Well, I want to do it for the sake of being different. Can it be done with the speed density system found on my truck? I only want to run 5-7lbs. of boost on this motor, is that safe? What kind of power can I expect with this, a cam, everything gasket matched and cleaned up, headers, 2.5" exhaust, bigger injectors, and a little computer tweaking, along with some ignition mods? Mind you, this will be done to a rebuilt motor, not the original 200K motor. I don't want to replace it in a week.

Let me know what y'all think of the idea, and if you have any sources of info for this let me know. If somebody else out there has done the same thing, I would love to see it. I hope to see somewhere around 200-225HP at the rear wheels. Possible???

Chic N Stew

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9ltr
Transmission
Manual
i think you should do it, just for the sake of being different, but i would maybe go turbo though

89REDRANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Buick
Engine Size
3.3 V6
Transmission
Automatic
I think I should do it too. Just wanted to see what others thought of the idea. I would go turbo, but I don't want to mess with trying to plumb that much crap in. On top of that, I like the linear power curve of the supercharger, as opposed to the spike of the turbo. Yeah, if the turbo is tuned right the engine won't have a power spike, but I don't want to spend that much time tuning it. I want keep things as simple as possible. I have to say though, I have a LOT of friends with turbo'd ricers, and that spike is fun as hell in a little shitter like that, but I'm looking for smooth power with the truck.

Davis

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I would like to see someone do it. I don't think that your SD system would work though. It cant really read boost.
About tuning a turbo motor, it is the matching of the parts that keeps you from having a "power spike." If you get greedy and stick a huge turbo on there, it is going to spool slowly. If the rest of the motor is matched to the turbo size it wont be nearly as big of a problem. It's just like the rednecks who want a powerful truck so they put a 3/4 inch cam and two 750 cfm carbs on their stock 350 pushing 35s. My truck is pretty well matched with a small turbo and get boost below 2k on the freeway if I want it.
Either way though, blower or turbo, it would be sweet.

89REDRANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Buick
Engine Size
3.3 V6
Transmission
Automatic
I think I'm going to try to control it by using different injectors and adjusting the fuel pressure. I don't want to get too deep into the computer. That's why I want to go with the low boost.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Let me know what y'all think of the idea, and if you have any sources of info for this let me know. If somebody else out there has done the same thing, I would love to see it. I hope to see somewhere around 200-225HP at the rear wheels. Possible???
I was going to S/C my 2.9L Ranger, but never did. I actually opted for the 331, which I am planning to do sometime next year.

PM me if you want to buy my S/C setup - it's a 2001 Nissan Xterra blower. I never got a chance to use it, though it's used. All of the problems are solved, eg. supertine belt blower - V-belt system. I was going to go w/ Megasquirt, under drive pulley for the S/C (7-9PSI), forged pistons, peened rods with ARP bolts, etc.

For what the S/C setup is, and how it works, and that you're not looking for anything too crazy, it's a good fit. The guy who had it originally ran it on a stock motor, I still have all of the emails between me and him for reference.

Edit:
Oh yeah, he stated he seen 4-5 PSI from the setup.

Pete

Last edited:

BigBlockRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
545 (8.9L)
Transmission
Automatic
Convert it to mass air, then let the computer do some of the work.

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/MAF_Conversion.html

Pretty easy to do. I followed Bob's writeup before when I turbo'd my 2.9L. 5.0L meter, 24lb injectors. Worked very well up to 15psi.

I still like the 2.9L's. Kinda wish I still had one lying around.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
+1, my 88 was simplistic to swap over. I found the PCM at subway truck parts in California for $80 shipped. I imagine you might find it cheaper, but I was in a rush to get it done. The auto PCM they're not certain about in that article is actually the right one. Get wiring specific diagrams for your truck (buy them from Helm, or get copies from Ford) and compare them to the MAF PCM, and note the differences on paper, pin by pin.

Pete

josh-the-ranger

Reaction score
Heres a guy whos attempting
I bought a Eaton Roots M90 supercharger from the JY of a 90 model ford cougar XR7 with a 3.8. I got the S/C, MAF, TB, Intercooler, Intercooler tubes, and a set of 24#/hr injectors for the low low price of $50 bucks. The JY guy told me I had to take it off because he didn't want his workers to screw it up taking it off. The original deal was $50 for just the S/C and I figered since I was out there takeing it off by my sef, I may as well help myself to all the other goodies i got hehehehehehe. Anyway, i have been talking with Brian mcKelvy(He fabricated an intake to mount an M90 to his 2000 4.0) and he has been a big help.
I can simplify the instalation by bolting the S/C directly to the lower intake via and adaptor or I can flip it over like ford did and use the intercooler i have and realive more power out of it. The S/C is in tip top shape and it was cheap as hell so I may realize some real power out of this 2.9er after all.
Brian had a very good idea about getting a dummy motor to test fit and make all of the brackets before I mount it all to my actual engine. Basically I am going to have to convert to MAF, fabricate an upper intake, fabricate crank pulley to drive S/C and mount S/C to line up with it, mount my intercooler and i think I might just mount an electric fan to it. That is just the big stuff, i am sure there will be other little things i will have to do before I finish but it will be fun, especially with all my friends and stuff so unwillingly to help and telling me i can't do it, you just wait until another one of them ask me to "help"(which means do everything) them with installing there drop kit. Uh no.
I really have to give a shot out to JP, I bet he went through the same stuff i am going through. Maybe when I get done, in about 6 months or more, we can meet up at a truck show and race em or something hehe.
off topic but my dad has a f250 v10 thats got a paxton novi2000 supercharger, chip, and banks exhaust.....its fast enough.

89REDRANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Buick
Engine Size
3.3 V6
Transmission
Automatic
I was going to S/C my 2.9L Ranger, but never did. I actually opted for the 331, which I am planning to do sometime next year.

PM me if you want to buy my S/C setup - it's a 2001 Nissan Xterra blower. I never got a chance to use it, though it's used. All of the problems are solved, eg. supertine belt blower - V-belt system. I was going to go w/ Megasquirt, under drive pulley for the S/C (7-9PSI), forged pistons, peened rods with ARP bolts, etc.

For what the S/C setup is, and how it works, and that you're not looking for anything too crazy, it's a good fit. The guy who had it originally ran it on a stock motor, I still have all of the emails between me and him for reference.

Edit:
Oh yeah, he stated he seen 4-5 PSI from the setup.

Pete
I didn't know you could get forgerd pistons and stuff for the 2.9. Where did you find that stuff at? Can you post pics of the setup you have? I would like to see how it's done, and what kind of condition it's in. What are you wanting for the whole setup? Are there brackets there for it? What, does it just bolt onto the lower plenum or what? I have seen 4.0s S-Cahrged that way. How well did the other guy say it ran?

89REDRANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Buick
Engine Size
3.3 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Oh yeah, anybody know what size injectors I would need for 5 pounds, and a cam and headers?

89REDRANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Buick
Engine Size
3.3 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Heres a guy whos attempting

off topic but my dad has a f250 v10 thats got a paxton novi2000 supercharger, chip, and banks exhaust.....its fast enough.
Where did you find this stuff? I wouldn't mind talking to this guy. Can you hook me up?

89REDRANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Buick
Engine Size
3.3 V6
Transmission
Automatic

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/MAF_Conversion.html

Pretty easy to do. I followed Bob's writeup before when I turbo'd my 2.9L. 5.0L meter, 24lb injectors. Worked very well up to 15psi.

I still like the 2.9L's. Kinda wish I still had one lying around.
Wait, wait, wait! You had a 2.9 running 15 pounds? I missed that. How well did it hold up, and what kind of performance did you get out of it. If you can push the 2.9 that hard, I might just do it for shits and grins. I want to see how one of these trucks runs with 15 pounds. That would be fucking awesome. I had a friend with a 2.3 Ranger with a 4 barrel and a small roots blower. It ran 10 pounds and would burn through third gear. I want that kind of stuff with my 2.9. Plus it's 4wd. So it'd be a hell of a lot of fun in the dirt.

BigBlockRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
545 (8.9L)
Transmission
Automatic
I wouldn't mess with forged pistons unless you really plan to run big boost. Mine was perfectly happy at 15psi with a stock 100k mile bottom end. If you've ever looked at a 2.9L piston, they are a very good match for forced induction. Large, smooth dish in the center of the piston. No sharp edges and a really thick top ring land. Good stuff. I gotta quit talking about it or I'll be messing with another one before I know it....

BigBlockRanger = JP3 on RPS.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals