• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What wireing must I keep and what dont' I need? 90' Lincoln transplant

Dishtowel

August OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys, I would like to *think* I have done all my required reading, but as always there is still questions.

I have been blessed with acquiring a complete 90' Lincoln Town Car, the interior has been gutted and all ripped out, windows and doors a wrecked, but it has the 5.0L and an AOD (I don't believe it's an AOD-E) . I'm especially excited that it is a 1990 because I want MassAirFlow EFI, more than I want SpeedDensity EFI. (MAF accommodates engine mods very easily, where-as SD is very unresponsive to engine mods)

Due to shop space and time constraints the engine and tranny must come out in the next week. The physical challenges of the swap do not scare me. (ie. getting engine+tranny out of the Lincoln and into my B2), what does intimidate me is handleing and transplanting the EFI.
How do I know what stuff is directly involved with the EFI system?
How much is it intertwined with non-crucial stuff?

I'm just intimidated by all that wiring harness stuff, (it probably relates back a couple years when I burned down a quad via. the wiring harness, hahaha, yikes)
Where will the EFI computer be?
What is recommended procedure when installing it into by B2? Find a wire that is hot with the key and feed the EFI comp power from there?

Like I said, I *think* I have done all my reading, I've been on these V8 swap forums and in the library for a few days and I still have some Q's. I know there is generally a surplus of answers/ideas/solutions around here and I would really appreciate it if you guys could lend a guiding hand.

Cheers

PS: anybody know what this year Lincoln is supposed to have for rated HP? I'm guessing 205?

ironman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
i would say just pull all the wire with it that way you will be safe because youll going to need the wires going to the back for the fuel pump as well as the wires goint to the computer.just bought my truck so will find out myself.

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
It is best to take as much of the electrical as you can whether you think you need it or not. When you are done with the project you can always throw it away.

Matt

Dishtowel

August OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I love this site, http://www.fordfuelinjection.com/
And appearently I DID'T get MAF, I have SpeedDensity. But thats not the end of the world, I plan on doing a hone job assuming the engine doesn't need any real work or bearings or anything.

red85

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 ci
Transmission
Automatic
Hope the wiring goes well. Looks like you've got an awesome place to work. I checked out your webpage too. I like the "I win!" video :clapping: I laughed because I would have said the exact same thing! Have you tested the envelope with the tip-o-meter yet?

Dishtowel

August OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The disassembly is miserable.

I defiantly have an amazing place to work, my dads 40'x 80' archrib shop with heated concrete floor. 5ton press, arc and (fluxcore) mig machines, and torch.

I have not yet pushed the envelope with the tip-o-meter yet, I will let everybody know once I do.

I HATE automotive engineers, I HATE the movement against backyard mechanics being able to work on their own vehicles, all this wiring nonsense is testing my patience. And I'm only taking it out, much less trying to get it to work!! A carborator has crossed my mind.
It's probably a bad thing when you take off the plenum and find this hey?

It's like rubbing the fry pan at 12 noon that you cooked your breakfast bacon in..... :sad:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals