• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

any ideas what could be wrong with my ranger?

ringer4x4

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
will not go into gear ( easily anyways unless u really force it) unless u start off engine and put into 1st gear that way...clutch/ slave cylinder was changed last nov by shop.. has a hurst shifter as well if that could be a factor? i think its the clutch anyways imo but wondering if any other possibilites? its at the shop at the moment.. really debating what to do with this ranger at the moment..a 2000 ford 4.0 ohv 5 speed 4x4... orgional clutch repair cost nearly $1500 ..and if gone again within 6 months i lost some faith in reliabilty of my truck.. matter if they used oem or aftermarket parts? the shop that did the orginal repair sounds like willing to cover cost of repair IF it is the clutch and slave again

ringer4x4

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
tech library here justs says could be the following....

Difficulty in engaging gears:

1. Clutch not releasing completely
2. Loose, damaged or out-of-adjustment shift linkage. Make a thorough inspection, replacing parts as necessary
3. Leak or air in hydraulic system

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
If the shop did not replace (or grease) the pilot bearing...

AD

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
sounds like there is air in the system. is it hard to get into reverse when at a stop as well? how far from the floor does the pedal move before the clutch starts to engage?

ringer4x4

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
they replaced the pilot bushing as well... only has working pressure at end of clutch pedal travel... reverse same thing, have to shut off engine, shift to reverse, and then restart engine...remember when the shop did the clutch...said had hard time bleeding the system

dennis461

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Jeep
Engine Size
3.0l
Transmission
Automatic
they replaced the pilot bushing as well... only has working pressure at end of clutch pedal travel... reverse same thing, have to shut off engine, shift to reverse, and then restart engine...remember when the shop did the clutch...said had hard time bleeding the system
Sounds like the shop did not do a good job.

When I did my clutch on my 1993 stick shift, I replaced everything to prevent crawing under that rig again.

A shop should never have trouble bleeding a hydraulic system if they have the right equipment. Us shade tree mechanics have trouble because we do it manually. The shop should have the power bleeding kit.

Above first gear, how do you shift???

ringer4x4

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like the shop did not do a good job.

When I did my clutch on my 1993 stick shift, I replaced everything to prevent crawing under that rig again.

A shop should never have trouble bleeding a hydraulic system if they have the right equipment. Us shade tree mechanics have trouble because we do it manually. The shop should have the power bleeding kit.

Above first gear, how do you shift???
can't really shift above first unless fight the shifter...its currently sitting at ford dealership waiting for repair

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals