• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

interchange help asap

jeremyh

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I got this great deal on a 95 4.0 it had only 65,000 miles and I tore off the oil pan to put a high volume oil pump on it and inside the engine looks brand new, but my problem is I`m going to switch my intake and everything from my 99 4.0 over to it and use it that way but anyways I didn`t realize that ford changed the bolt hole pattern from 6 to 8 bolts on my 99 so My question is that the fly wheel that is for a automatic, and my is 99 is also to but my has the 5 speed and i`m not sure about this flywheel, will this 95 4 speed auto flywheel fit the 5peed auto,?:icon_confused:please help

Rifleman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Uhhh, if you've ever seen the two (a manual flywheel and an automatic flywheel) you would kick yourself for asking.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
The auto flyweel is the same.

BTW, why do you suffer under some dilusion that you needed a HighVolume oil pump?
You do understand it'll put more strain on the cam synchronizer drive gear, right?

Rifleman, you aren't paying attention his 99 has the 5sp auto, a 5R55E,
the donor only a 4sp auto a 4R55E.

AD

jeremyh

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
thanks Allan thats what i need to know, yeah I know the difference between a auto and manual, I actually swapped a 5.0 ho in my 92 4x4 ranger, but back to the high volume pump, yeah from what i have heard is the 4.0 are notorious for not getting enough oil to the lifters and rockers arms, so is that true? I ran a high volume in my 5.0, and it workde fine, the way I see it can`t hurt not to have to much oil? right

Rifleman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
My bad, overlooked the last part where it said "auto" and therefore only the "5 speed" bit sunk in and I thought he had the manual.

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
thanks Allan thats what i need to know, yeah I know the difference between a auto and manual, I actually swapped a 5.0 ho in my 92 4x4 ranger, but back to the high volume pump, yeah from what i have heard is the 4.0 are notorious for not getting enough oil to the lifters and rockers arms, so is that true? I ran a high volume in my 5.0, and it workde fine, the way I see it can`t hurt not to have to much oil? right
I think your thinking about the 2.9 not having good upper lubrication... Even so, they last a looong time ticking.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
4.0's get plenty of oil to the lifters and more oil pressure will do NOTHING about the lack of oil to the rocker arm tips.

those parts are splash oiled.

Simply cutting a champfer into the oil feed hole in the top of the rocker that funnels oil to the pushrod tip... would probably help get oil in there.

It's a common misconception that 4.0's pump oil up through the pushrods
they don't! The pushrods may be tubular but the ball ends are solid and
there's no provision in the design of the lifter to feed oil to the pushrod anyway.

AD

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
I got a 96 4.0L with 220K on the clock, oil pan never off, and when cold my motor has about 70psi oil pressure at 2k rpm, about 45psi at idle, at 195* its 62psi @ 2k rpm, 30 psi @ idle...the 4.0L's oil pump have plenty of oil pressure, I would leave it unless it fails altogether. Again, I have 220k on mine and no probs....
SVT

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals