• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Boosting CB radio

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Since installing my CB the range has only been about 2 miles.

Did I do something wrong with the install or is there a way to boost the signal?

There are no loops in the coax cable running to the antenna, any extra was zigzaged.

4 foot Antenna location is back by the passenger tail light.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
I've heard the ideal length of a CB antenna is 15 feet....

Fx4wannabe01

February 2010 OTOTM Winner
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You antenna location SUCKS!! Move that thing to a front fender mount. That way it has a chance to actually span out.

You see....you have about 3' of body blocking that antenna from shooting out. imagine a triangle...with the point of the triangle at thebottom of your antenna, or the bottom of the antenna above your body.....you've got so much body blocking that antenna, that you can't shoot far out at all....I'm a little surprised you're pulling 2 mi out of it.

Fix that antenna location or get a taller antenna....moving it will significantly help. Taller not so much. There's no boosting that you can do to that CB unfortunately.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Actually the top center of the roof would be a much better place to put it.

Range on CB tends to be extremely variable depending on band conditions and whether you happen to be in an area plagued by noise (from power lines, neon signs, etc.). Anywhere from .5-25 miles is common with a stock radio (no amplifier). I would say a good average is 5-10 miles however, and you probably would have no problem achieving that by relocating the antenna to a better spot.
Also, you might want to eliminate the excess coax if there's a lot of it (stories you might hear about the coax needing to be some specific length are myths. All that's needed is enough to reach from your radio to your antenna, and that it has a good RF ground connection with the vehicle body).

Fx4wannabe01

Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
fender mount is second best to a center of roof mount and drilling holes IMO...magnet mount FTL. Thats why I suggested it.

5speedin2.3

May 2012 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
fender mount is second best to a center of roof mount and drilling holes IMO...magnet mount FTL. Thats why I suggested it.
Rofl. I bet my Wilson 5000 magnet mount would work better then just about any "fender mounted" antenna.

With just my radio I can talk 50+ miles on a good day. Now if I turn the power on, I can talk to people 300+ miles away. :icon_thumby:
Last week when the skip was rolling I talked to a guy in southern Louisiana like he was down the street from me.

Hell, My setup works better then my friends base antenna (antron99) and its 75ft up in a tree. :dunno:

Look it up, The Wilson 1000 and 5000 antennas are by far one of the better mobile antennas you can get.
Unless you want to run a monkey made or predator 10k. :shok:

Fx4wannabe01

Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
That's also a $100 antenna compared to a $20 4' glass one too....

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
You antenna location is all wrong. You have no ground plane. 2 miles is a blessing. Google up some CB info is you are concerned about the radio being functional.

5speedin2.3

May 2012 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
That's also a $100 antenna compared to a $20 4' glass one too....
I got mine with my discount. It was $90otd with 18ft of Belden 8x coax and a gold plated amphenol end. :headbang:
The stock coax on the Wilson5000 is good but it doesn't handle large amounts of power very well.

Then I paid $230 for the "box" and two jumpers. One 3ft jumper and one 6ft jumper. I also have over $80 in to my Cobra 25. The radio alone was $30(used).

I also have about $80 worth of microphones.

As for the base radio, I have an antron99 mounted on a tree outside of my apt and a Cobra29XLR hooked to it with a d104 lollipop mic.

Its all worth it IMO. I use my radios all the time.
If you're only going to use your radio to talk to other people on the roads (IE: a group of friends/rangers) then you should be fine with a Firestik and a stock radio.

Last edited:

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Its all worth it IMO. I use my radios all the time.
If you're only going to use your radio to talk to other people on the roads (IE: a group of friends/rangers) then you should be fine with a Firestik and a stock radio.
What else would someone use it for? If you want long range you use HAM. Hell, I drive truck and don't use the CB unless I am scale spotting or a receiver tells me we are using it.

5speedin2.3

May 2012 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
What else would someone use it for? If you want long range you use HAM. Hell, I drive truck and don't use the CB unless I am scale spotting or a receiver tells me we are using it.
I talk to people all over SE Michigan with mine. There is also a large group of locals with CB radios.

Sometimes the "wars" can be fun, I learned the hard way to keep my nose out of it. :icon_rofl:
Getting chased down 96 doing 100mph isn't fun, especially when the person behind you is some crazy old guy with a sawed off shotgun. :shok:

Roadkill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
7.3l turbo
Transmission
Automatic
+1 :icon_hornsup:

Scrambler82

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/EDGE
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4.5" SL
Total Drop
WWWhhhaaattt !?!
Tire Size
33 x 12.50
Since installing my CB the range has only been about 2 miles.
Did I do something wrong with the install or is there a way to boost the signal?
There are no loops in the coax cable running to the antenna, any extra was zigzaged.
4 foot Antenna location is back by the passenger tail light.
Yes the best location is centered top of vehicle but everything about an antenna system is a compromise.
You should be able to get satisfactory communications from just about any point.

The first thing I would do is a Power Mic.
Astatic has good ones, smaller ones like the Mobile D-6 is a great one, the Red Devil is the one I have and it is really good but bigger in size only.

Chk your SWR for the lowest setting and make sure you have a good ground from the antenna mount to the frame (not just through the bumper) and add a ground wire from the chassis of the CB (maybe a screw on the back panel) to a good metal ground location.
Run the setting on the Mic on the lowest possible setting for two reasons, one is to stop any squealing that can happen with Mic feedback and two adjacent channel splatter.
Power Mics are good but they can cause problems, nothing says you can't turn it up if you need to get out for some reason but be reasonable.

I am sure there are illegal ways to add power to the CB but the above is suggested as a good compromise.

Last edited:

5speedin2.3

May 2012 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
But channel splatter is the part that makes it fun. :icon_rofl:

Scrambler82

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/EDGE
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4.5" SL
Total Drop
WWWhhhaaattt !?!
Tire Size
33 x 12.50
CopyKat,

How's this go'n ?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals