• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Help!!!! Dash Is Black!

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
I just got done installing my new stereo today and went to drive around when i noticed none of my illumination lights were coming on the gauge lights the radio lights the temp control lights everything is just dead. the dimmer still turns the overhead light on and the fuse is good... and clue whats wrong? and i tried putting the factory radio back in...

Also i had the negative terminal off the battery for a while. and headlamps still work

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Which truck?

My '85 had a wire (light blue I think) that I accidently used for a ground, I later found out it was the power wire that lit up the stock radio, it would pop the fuse the second I would turn the lights on. But you said the fuse was ok, soo....

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
on an 84 theres actually 2 fuses for the lights. one is in the upper right hand corner of the fuse panel if memory serves me right, then there is one in the bottom center of the fuse box. most likely you changed the one on the bottom center but did not notice the one on the upper right hand corner. i had this problem when i put my stereo in. guy before me ran a hot outta the fuse box and it grounded out, every time i hit my lights, the fuse popped. check all the connections and get a test light just to make sure you have the right constant, auxilary, and grounds hooked up, then chage the fuses i told you about. if you are unsure of what fuses im talking about, i will post a pic of mine.

Last edited:

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
No its the 99, although i did have that problem with my 84 when i put a stereo in it too. I didn't cut any of the wires on the harness, i got a new harness for it and connected it to the stereo. I used a volt meter across the fuse for the lights and it was showing like 19volts going through it...? It shouldn't be that high right? Possible indication of a ground in the wrong spot?

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Problem solved... I guess i forgot new vehicals have power dist. blocks under the hood. A fuse blew in that, so i replaced it and all good.:yahoo:

Except now one of the bearings is squeaking horribly, either the alt. or tensioner.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals