• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cylinder misfires, pulled codes, need advice.

compleckz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
so for the past 6 months maybe, the truck on cold start has ran like it was misfiring for like maybe 20 seconds, if i revved it up a bit, it would go away quicker. it never did this again till it sat for over ~8hours.

today on my way home from a friends (700lb wheeler in the bed), it started running rough, stumbling, and i could hear like backfires in the intake when i got on the gas (i have a cowl-snorkel, so it was quite easy to hear)..

i was a mile from home, and when i arrived i unloaded the wheeler, checked over the engine, and couldnt find any apparent problems with the plug wires etc.. (they are 6-12 months old, along with the plugs)..

no CEL or codes, so i took it for a rip up the road and matted it (may not have been smart, but..) i got the CEL on, and got some codes, p0300 which is random cylinder misfire, and p0301 and po304, which are cylinders 1 and 4 misfire.

so does this sound like a coil pack going/gone bad? like i said before it did the same thing on cold start but very briefly, hopefully the sequence of events will enable someone to identify the part that has failed, so i dont go replacing new(ish) wires/plugs.. or unnecessary stuff..

ALSO i swore i got a whiff of sulfur for a second while i was in the bed of the truck, as if it was a cat going bad, but i did have the 4 wheeler running, i've never smelled any sulfur like smells from the wheeler before, but i'm just not sure cuz it was brief.

this is a 97 OHV 4.0, 110k miles. thanks guys!

Last edited:

compleckz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
ok so i edited the first post, it is cylinders 1 and 4 misfiring.. also i just took it for a drive and came back, and i DEFINITELY smelled sulfur, looked under the truck, and my 2nd cat was glowing red (not very bright, but was glowing for sure).. this probably just means the misfiring is causing excess unburnt fuel to get into the exhaust, and heat up the cat..

i also went out and replaced the coil... its not the coil... lol

next?

Last edited:

wheelie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 3.0L doing this right now. I checked the cylinders with a timing light, 4 of them stay firing, while two of them will randomly drop, causing a drop in engine RPM. I'm thinking its the coil pack.

compleckz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
wish it were that easy for me.

wheelie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I threw another coil pack on, and a set of plugs, to no avail. Mine misfires about 20 seconds after startup. It is hitting on all 6 right after turning the ignition key, but then drops cylinders after that.

redneckbrat

Reaction score
mine is doing the same thing on #6, I'll be changing the wires too. I've got 140K on mine.

compleckz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
mine ended up being the plug.. it still sparked, i verified this twice, but it ended up turning black after a few days of trying to figure out what the problem was (by running the engine).. so it was... partially fouled..

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
another thing to look at when you have a misfiring EDIS engine is the contacts inside the coil "towers"

They can corrode inside on the wire contact leading to misfires.

AD

redneckbrat

Reaction score
I switched the plug on 6 and now it's 4 that is misfiring, swapped the wires and plugs on 4, 5 and 6; 4 is still misfiring.

Hardwareman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Please let me know what you guys find out as I'm having a hell of a time with this problem. Thank you.

Allen

compleckz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
woah back from the dead!

anyways, i dont know what the problem is, my compression was consistent across the board-- but i've fouled the #4 spark plug 3 or 4 times now... it runs fine in between plugs fouling... its not my DD anymore, coolant isnt disappearing since i fixed a leaky heater valve.. oil is always fine... so i still havent really figured it out.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals