• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

hurst shifter

james99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
does anyone know if a husrts shifter will work on a truck with a 3 inch body lift. 1999 ford ranger 3 inch body lift.

flyingbrick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I don't see why not, it'll just seem even shorter then the stock shifter with a BL, the only issues i can foresee would be you may not be able to run the Hurst shifter boot, but any aftermarket boot will fix that.

Fx4wannabe01

February 2010 OTOTM Winner
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
it does. just the ball is a long reach. here's my solution:

If you have a Hurst Shifter, or plan on installing one, this post will help you.

YES a Hurst shifter with a body lift works perfectly. NO you do not need PA #3700 for the Hurst because it's a completely different shifter. Once body lifted and a Hurst Shifter, the ball is pretty low to the ground, and a long reach to reach the ball.

You can make an extension if you wish....and that extension you can make PERFECT for your comfort and make it perfect for you.

Here's what a 3" body lift and Hurst look like(notice the shortness)...

Here's a couple of brackets I've made for mine made out of 1/4" flat bar....Dark colored one is 1" up, 1 1/8" back. Light colored one is 2.5" up, 1 1/8" back. Both brackets I had mounted to the Hurst base in a fashion that it moves the arm toward the driver 1/4". 1" up, 1 1/8" back worked well for a BL'd truck. I initially did it when I had a 1" BL in my truck. Then I put the 3" BL on and it worked well....it sucked if you've got a shorty console, but if you've got a 60/40, I think it might work quite nicely.

Fx4wannabe01's truck with 1" up, 1 1/8" back, 1/4" driverside(center console not bolted down. 3" bl with this particular bracket DOES NOT allow use of the cupholders when center console is bolted to factory location)...

Fx4wannabe01's truck with 2.5" up, 1 1/8" back, 1/4" driverside...

TrePaul86's truck with the same measurements on the extention...

(Redneckstone Edit)

There is also a Longer shifter arm if people want the shifter closer to them its not cheap tho....

standard Hurst 538-4106 arm
longer 538-8022 arm

You can really perfect it and make it perfect to fit you.

Fx4wannabe01

February 2010 OTOTM Winner
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
heres a couple other better shots which i need to edit into the thread i ripped the above out of...

james99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
thanks for all the help i will post pics when i get it in

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I have a hurst shifter in my truck and frankly if it wasn't for the 1" body lift and recent urethane mounts it would never have worked...

My problem is that it interferes with the plastic frame for the dual shift boot...

It also tends to telegraph a lot of transmission and t-case noise inside the cab
But taking it off isn't even a remote consideration...

AD

86_LX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1992 and 2004
Make / Model
Ford and Ford
Engine Size
4.0 and 5.4 SC
Transmission
Manual
Sorry to bring up an old thread but where can I get a transfer case gear shifter arm thats like the chrome one above? I know they come on the FX4 but anyone have a website it can be orderd from? Also wanting those shift knobs. I just orderd a hurst shifter for my 92 and want that matchig arm for the transfer case along with both of those shifter knobs. thanks

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals