• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How hard it it two pull an A4LD and pop another in?

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I was kind of hoping my transmission would wait until I had some money for a 5 speed swap to take a crap on me, or at least wait until I had the Nissan up and running. But it doesn't look like that's going to happen.

It keeps slipping, making the truck rev high briefly, and just plain not moving. The way I'd see it, I'd rather put a different one in and hope for the best than keep driving it the way it is and have it go when I'm in college.

Anyways.. what tools/equipment will I need to do this?

mattpresley

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD F-250
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
bump cause I have no idea:dunno::dunno:

Chevelle Kid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Lots of ground clearance. A tranny jack helps but I got mine out without one. Good basic mechanic's set of tools and you're good. Just remember, there's a lot of f***ing things attached to that trans...resist the urge to clip everything with wire cutters.

Ben

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
It keeps slipping, making the truck rev high briefly, and just plain not moving. The way I'd see it, I'd rather put a different one in and hope for the best than keep driving it the way it is and have it go when I'm in college.
i got the same problem buddy, ill rev it up to 2000 rpm and she will kick in and do a wheelie, lol

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Lots of ground clearance. A tranny jack helps but I got mine out without one. Good basic mechanic's set of tools and you're good. Just remember, there's a lot of f***ing things attached to that trans...resist the urge to clip everything with wire cutters.
Ben
About how heavy would you say one of these is? I could always "make" a tranny jack using one of my floor jacks and some uh.. wood. :icon_idea:

For ground clearance I'm either going to look into borrowing some high jack stands, or just drive it up on blocks. Probably the blocks, dangerous, but I'll take precautions.

tpking

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
its noth hard at all just take your time and unhook everything and once you get it out just reverse the order of stuff just take your time... they aint that heavy i can push one into a ranger by myself .. a haynes manual would help you greatly

Nhaz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998 and a few
Make / Model
Ranger+Ranger+E
Engine Size
4.0 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
I just did one last weekend. Pulled the a4ld from a donor and put it in mine.

Make sure you have a oxy/ace torch. for heating the manifold. get it seriously hot =>

The Y pipe Needs to come off. Before you take the tranny out. Don't even start to unbolt the tranny unless you are sure the Y-pipe is going to co-operate. You can waste half your time just on this.

Have a set of replacement bolts and Plan for bolts snapping off in the manifold. Which means you need to be ready to drill them out(they are something like grade 8 so have fun drilling them) or have a mig welder ready to tack new nuts on the broken studs.

If I Ever do that tranny again. I''m buying replacement manifolds before hand cuzz those bolts really don't want to come out. and I suspect it may actually be easier. But I haven't gone that route yet some I'm not sure.

The tranny is fairly heavy. So is the transfercase if you have a 4x4. Make sure they are taken down separately. Or you will regret it. =>

2 guys can hold either up np for a few mins anyways =>

You will need a new gasket for between the transfercase and the tranny. I just bought the feltpro stuff and made my own.

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
may be a newb question but the trans cross member has to come out right or do you just slide it back to clear the crossmember if thats possible?

oh and koda, you spelled 'to' wrong in the title XD

Chevelle Kid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Trans crossmember comes out, you need the room.

On the other hand, you don't NEED to pull the y pipe. I didn't pull mine and it came out with a little creative maneuvering. Same goes for the t-case and trans, I pulled them at the same time and it was a little bit heavy but if you have a second set of hands it's perfectly doable.

Ben

alaskan155

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 2000
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
7.3l/4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
no special tools needed, if you dont have a body lift the bolts are pretty tight, so some extensions might be needed, maybe a flex-joint to might help.
also if you look in your local area should be able to find an equipment rental place, and once you get the tranny ready to pull i would go rent a transmission jack.

just make sure the torque converter is fully seated, and to help align the tranny buy some longer bolts, makes it a little easier.and i duno about the A4ld but on my Aod i had to alight the 4 bolts on the torque convert or it wouldn't go together

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
no special tools needed, if you dont have a body lift the bolts are pretty tight, so some extensions might be needed, maybe a flex-joint to might help.
also if you look in your local area should be able to find an equipment rental place, and once you get the tranny ready to pull i would go rent a transmission jack.
just make sure the torque converter is fully seated, and to help align the tranny buy some longer bolts, makes it a little easier.and i duno about the A4ld but on my Aod i had to alight the 4 bolts on the torque convert or it wouldn't go together
I have few extensions an old flex joints. Getting the hang of using those flex joints is my main issue. They're so.. awkward.

I might look into advance auto renting me out a jack.. they have a big sign in the window about tool rentals.

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
whenever ive pulled an A4LD ive put the truck up on ramp stands in the front and then placed jack stands under the rear axle. i also took a piece of steel plate a little larger than the trans pan and welded the floor jack cup to it. by doing this i gave myself a nice platform to wiggle the trans on without having to struggle with the weight and bulk of the A4ld. taking off the linkage and wires are easy, but like other have said the trans bolts are the worst. i use a 15mm ratchet wrench and a 6 point box wrench for the top two bolts. the two up top are really tight to the fire wall, so you might be better off removing the distributor cap and trying to work them loose from the engne bay.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals