• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I need help!!!!!

434fireboy52

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 88 ranger 2.9 4x4. I want to put a 4.0 in it. What all would I need to do that? New tranny or transfer case? Would I have to swap out my wiring harness? Also does any one know if I will be able to clear 33's with a 3in body lift? any help would be great!

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
The 2.9 trans will bolt up to the 4.0, You should use the 4.0 clutch and flywheel, along with the starter. The wiring harness will need to be custom, not entirely sure how custom it needs to be but nothing will just plug in unless you swap the complete wiring harness and dash out of the truck that the 4.0 came in.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
There are SEVERAL topics on this subject in the swapped engines forum.

Your 1988 shares essentially the same issues as swapping a 4.0 into any
2.9 powered '86-88.

It's possible, is it possible for YOU?
I have no way of knowing.

5.0's aren't as easy as a 4.0 and finding a "good"
5.0 probably isn't as easy as finding a good 4.0, as there are plenty of explorers with perfectly good engines sitting in junkyards because their A4LD Died (for the first, second or third time)

Or like I frequently find here in pennsylvania, a perfectly good RUNNING explorer that was junked not because the engine or trans was bad, but because the vehicle would no longer pass PA inspection, we have a rust law.... No perforating rust in the sides of the vehicle that produce a hole bigger than a quarter (potential sharp edges)
no perforating rust at ALL in the floor of the vehicle (possible route for exhaust to enter tha cabin) and Explorers typically self-destruct in the rocker panel area due to corrosion from road salt.

Frankly the main thing that goes wrong with 4.0's with less than rediculous miles on them is the pushrod tips gall into the rocker arms and that is easily fixed.

AD

89_Black_Beast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
89'
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
...but because the vehicle would no longer pass PA inspection, we have a rust law....
AD
Where about are you in PA, east or west?

434fireboy52

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I want to stay with the 4.0 because I want to use a dana 35 and I want to stay with in that light truck relm with this truck atleast. But trust me I thought about it but gas prices changed my mind. After I get it built I want to be able to afford to go playin!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals