• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

92 2.9L Won't start

cm_osu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 92 2.9L that is really rough. When I first got it, it would start and run but it knocked and the battery was always dying. So I replaced the alternator and charged the battery but soon ran that battery dead again before I could get it started to let the new alternator work. So we jumped it and it started and ran til we disconnected the jumper cables. Then I went and bought a new battery, distributor cap, rotor and plugs. Now it still won't start. So, we pulled it down the road and tried starting it that way (I know we're rednecks). As long as the other truck was still pulling me and it was in gear, my truck would run but as soon as I pushed in the clutch it would die again. I'm a decent mechanic but this truck has just enough electronics on it that I'm not sure what to try next. I am getting good spark and fuel. Please help.

0ldman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Timing may be very low, dunno why or how. Depending on the engine, I haven't been deep enough into a 2.9 to tell you how it reacts with low timing, however, low timing may allow the engine to somewhat run while being pulled or coasting downhill, then cut off once its under its own power.

May be the plug wires are one off all the way around. I've done that on my old Mercury.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals