• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

no start

94redranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So I was driving around in my field and noticed that the truck had trouble getting above 2500 rpms. It ran fine below that that. I was driving along and then it suddenly bogged down. It would not start after. When I got it in my garage it would start and run fine for 2 seconds then it would die. I eventually got it to run but the throttle response was very poor and would not rev above 2500 rpms. When I drove it I had to bring the rpms up very high just to get it moving. When I got back to my garage it started running really rough and eventually died. Now it will not start. I checked the wires going into the coil pack and there is 12 volts going to the terminal closest to the firwall. I checked the resistance with an ohm meter by the specs in my haynes manual and all that is good. However the spark is almost reddish yellow. Should that give at least some fire or none at all? Would a coil pack from a 1995 windstar with a 3.8 motor work with my 1994 4.0? I do know it is getting fuel because when I cranked it over with the spark plug out gas was shooting out. Thanks.

Black_Splash

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
How old are the plugs? I've had old spark plugs do this. I don't remember if Ford recommends 100,000 or 60,000 miles on these.

94redranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I haven't changed them and since i bought it (it was used) so they could be old. On ford windstars the place where the wires plug into the coil pack is mounted vertically and on my ranger it is mounted horizontally. Any ford technicians or anyone out there know if these can be interchangeable?

94redranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Could this problem be related to the timing chain? I would just pull the cover and check it but my manual says I would have to pull the engine.

Last edited:

94redranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Could this problem be related to the timing chain? I would just pull the cover and check it but my manual says I would have to pull the engine.

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Fuel filter??? shady

94redranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No, I know it isn't the fuel filter.

almostclueless

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I do know it is getting fuel because when I cranked it over with the spark plug out gas was shooting out. Thanks.
The engine had gas shooting out of the plug holes when cranking? If so, I'd be considering the fuel pressure regulator diaphragm may have a hole in it.

94redranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I believe it was doing that because when I was trying to start it before I pulled the plugs it built up all that fuel in the cylinders and it shot it all out. I am pretty sure it is not fuel related because of that and it also runs on propane which I also tried to start it with. It is not firing at all so possibly the valve timing is out but I have never heard of a timing chain just give out. I hope it is ignition related. I am getting spark when I test the plugs outside the cylinders but I think I have to test the plugs with a tester in the cylinders under pressure. If they do not spark under pressure what could cause that?

94redranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Just today I finally went and bought new plugs. Put them in and checked one of them for spark and a major improvement, a rich blue spark. Took a while but it eventually fired up and now it runs very good. It is weird how the spark plugs suddenly failed but you gotta love the quick simple fixes!

Black_Splash

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Just today I finally went and bought new plugs. Put them in and checked one of them for spark and a major improvement, a rich blue spark. Took a while but it eventually fired up and now it runs very good. It is weird how the spark plugs suddenly failed but you gotta love the quick simple fixes!
Yeah the same thing happened recently with my Focus. Drove it back to the work fine but when I went to do my first call it wouldn't stay started. It's a company car so I didn't have to worry to much.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals