• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rebuild Mazda M50D-R1

umpire613

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
ford
mer
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1989 ford with a Mazda m50d-r1, My son was driving, said it made a whining sound, then a loud noise, and hung into 2 gears and not able to shift correctly, etc, etc..
The question is are there any special tools I will need to rebuild the unit. ie gear pullers etc. bearing pullers. and is there any one out there that makes a good rebuild kit.

Thanks for any feed back.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
I would remove the top cover and look inside, and see what the problem is first.

Also, these tranny's can be found in junkyards for cheap...

Fx4wannabe01

February 2010 OTOTM Winner
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I had a similar issue like the OP....but my trans i had that issue with was my new to me trans out of an 06 w/ 7k on the clock. I popped off the inspection cover/shift rails and popped everthing back into neutral, bolted the rails back on and it's been golden for about 40k now.

I do want to rebuild my old trans...it has better gear ratios than this current one in the truck. 2nd gear unresponsive(acts like it's in neutral).

umpire613

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
ford
mer
Transmission
Manual
ok, got the unit out andthere appears at first viewing to be minimal damage.. looks as if the front bearing on the input shat has come apart, no damage to the gears, the syncro's all look fine very little metal shavings etc in the unit. there was maybe 3 tbls of fluid in the unit ouch.. looks like the front seal was the main release point for the fluid, upon review, and of couse some from the tail shaft and some from the 3 plugs. I have located a rebuild kit for a couple of hundred bucks but really , really would like a manual so I know how much to torgue the bolts to and all since it is an alum case and all any ideas where there is such an item.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals