• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Is this an upgrade?

noslipn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey everyone! I just bought a '98 XLT 4x4 4.0, and it has the stock chrome 16's. The tires on the truck are in pretty good shape, but they are kind of cheap and I don't really care for them. They are Wildcat Touring SLT's 235-70-16. A guy I know has three Goodyear Wrangler AT's in really good shape, size 245-75-16. Also, another guy locally has two Bridgestone Dueller's in apprently good shape that he wants out of his garage for $10. Should I pick up all of these, and maybe put two Goodyears up front and the Bridgestone's on the rear? I hunt all the time, like to find some mud too, and live in MN- the snow isn't far away. Will this improve my traction/truck's performance for my driving habits? I'd think the bigger tire would net more traction, maybe a little clearance, a little beefier look. Also, how much would my speedometer be effected? Maybe I'm better off the way it is..? Thanks in advance for responses, and I am a newbie to trucks- so don't be afraid to put me in line!

Edit: The Dueller's are aso 245-75-16

Last edited:

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
Im not sure what the difference in size is, but you can check the Tech Library to find out, then also find out how far off your speedo will be. Look to the right size of the page, toward the bottom. There are a ton of handy calculators in there for ya.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
245/75R16 should be the factory tire size on that truck if it came with 16s (check the doorjamb sticker).

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals