• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

u-joint help

3literEarl91

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok, i used the search and could not find what i was looking for. My question is how do you replace u-joints? I have never had to replace any before and do not want to mess anything up in the process. I just need to know the right way to do it. Any help is greatly appreciated. My truck is a 1991 ranger 2wd with the 3.0 and m5od 5 speed trans and it is 2wd.

Mike

Last edited:

Fx4wannabe01

February 2010 OTOTM Winner
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I use 3/4" sockets, vice grips, chunk of 2x4, 4lb hammer, and a pair of needle nose.

Maybe someone will chime in with pics...but I dont have any....

Pull the retainer clips off the ends of the caps. Place shaft on block of wood with your knee holding it on the wood. Then take your 3/4"(or something that'll fit in hole on the flange, yet also fitting the cap, put the socket in the vice grips and beat the piss out of the socket. The bottom/other sides cap should drop right out...now flip the shaft over and beat it out the other way. Joint is remove from one half. Repete on other, and install using the same technique. Always use new clips. Penetrating oil may be needed as caps form a bond using rust on the yoke.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals