• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

More AL4D questions.

Nhaz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998 and a few
Make / Model
Ranger+Ranger+E
Engine Size
4.0 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
Ok Last Thursday the front seal on my A4LD let go. So over the weekend I sweated blood to swap Another A4LD from a 91 which I know for a fact that it worked perfectly when I parked it 7 months ago.

The swapping was epic all by itself (4 days) and if anyone wants to hear it I will add a post to this thread with the long and torrid details.

If the owners manual says the tranny takes 9.5 liters of fluid to fill why after exactly 8 liters the dip stick reads about 3/4 of a inch over the full line after running the truck to cycle the fluid. Is this a problem too much tranny fluid? If its a problem do I have to get someone to suck it out the dipstick with a vacuum pump or is there a drain other then the pan?

Next problem. The OD on the replacement tranny isn't working. Now I KNOW it was working when I parked the truck. So that means there is another problem that isn't the tranny.

What could they be and how can I fix it?

The shift handle indicator in the cab no longer lines up with the Park and other shift positions. You can shift the truck into the correct gears no problem but nothing lines up. how do I fix?

A not terrible important question. Both trucks appear to have a extra tranny cooler infront of the rad. Identical. Would the factory have put them on?

Neither Transmission had a magnet in the pan. Normal? I added one from a dead 30 gig Hard drive. Its very strong no worries about it moving. Tying to pry it up can break a finger nail.

Last edited:

Nhaz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998 and a few
Make / Model
Ranger+Ranger+E
Engine Size
4.0 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
The overdrive problem has been solved. The ECU was not functioning correctly.

I should mention the reason for the swap was more then the front seal. The transmission didn't like shifting out of first gear when it was cold.

This also corrected my IAC problem of it not functioning.

I should post pictures of the internals of the old ecu. I can't figure out why my truck ran at all considering how badly corroded and how many corrosion bridges were inside. I am actually going to clean it up and see if i can get it to work properly again.

The new ecu is giving me error codes for MAP sensor and TPS out of range high.

The truck has no MAP and I am replacing the tps tomorrow.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
If the owners manual says the tranny takes 9.5 liters of fluid to fill why after exactly 8 liters the dip stick reads about 3/4 of a inch over the full line after running the truck to cycle the fluid. Is this a problem too much tranny fluid? If its a problem do I have to get someone to suck it out the dipstick with a vacuum pump or is there a drain other then the pan?
I wouldn't worry about it, but if you really wanted to get the extra fluid out, disconnect one of the cooler lines and idle the engine for a few secs so the trans will pump the fluid out.

A not terrible important question. Both trucks appear to have a extra tranny cooler infront of the rad. Identical. Would the factory have put them on?
Yes.

Neither Transmission had a magnet in the pan. Normal? I added one from a dead 30 gig Hard drive. Its very strong no worries about it moving. Tying to pry it up can break a finger nail.
Both trans should have had a magnet in them. Maybe a previous owner took it out when doing a service? :icon_confused: Good move putting one back in.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals