• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Maxxis Buckshot Mudders

Danger FX4 Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
It's about time to replace my factory installed Wrangler RT/S on my 2005 FX4 ranger (255/70/R16's). A friend of mine has a set of Buckshot Mudders on his Z71 and loves them. Does anyone have any experience with them, or can recommend another relatively innexpensive mud tire. I would like to go up one tire size (a taller tire) can anyone tell my what size that would be? 265/70/R16, or 265/75/R16?

fordman49450

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I had a set of them. They wore down really quickly. They were great in mud, okay in sand, but wouldnt recommend them on a daily driver.

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Haven't had any Maxxis tires, but I have had many different brands/types of tires on my trucks over the years.

Firestones suck, poor traction on and off road, wore out fast didnt' stop well in wet weather, weak sidewalls.

BFG is pretty good for a radial. Haven't tried the newer style Goodyear MTRs but a couple freinds have them and they are really happy with them on daily drivers and hardcore rock crawlers...seems to be a good all around compromise tire.

Interco TSL/SXs are very nice in rocks and mud, but could be grippier. NEVER had a flat, leak, or even a nail/screw in any of my Interco BIAS PLY tires. Their radials wear even faster than the bias plies but ride nicer, althoough the sidewalls are weaker like most radials.

BFG All-Terrains are a very good all around tire, just wathc your sidewalls when wheeling, but that is true for ALL RADIALS.

Bridgestone Deuler ATs are better than BFGs as far as wear and the sidewalls seem as good or better. Traction was about same for both.

Michelins are great road tires and some are decent light/medium off road tires too, but you will pay for them.

I've never been able to find a 'good' and 'cheap' tire...tried several times.

I'm guessing that this truck is your daily driver....any pics and what type of use will they see?

HTH

schroader

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
last set of buckshots I had had over 30,000 miles on them, for the money you wont find a better tire.

Danger FX4 Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'm guessing that this truck is your daily driver....any pics and what type of use will they see?

HTH
I need to get some pics, but compared to some of the rangers here, mine is relatively tame. Yes, it is my daily driver, although I do take it hunting around this time of year, and tow my boat behind it during the spring and summer. I don't do any serious off roading/crawling as some folks around here do.

fordman49450

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I've heard they last a long time, mine didnt last 10,000 miles, and There was no alighnment issues, and I rotate every 6K miles. I've heard people having good luck with them. Maybe I got a Real soft set or something. Heck I dont know.

gettle03FX4LevelII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4 Leve
Transmission
Manual
kumho's mt's are nice i hade them on my last ranger and had 30k on them and they still had half tread. they are not that expensive and always worked well for me.

dusto2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i have a set of the bighorn i think they are great in the mud sand wasnt to bad wet pavement is excellent wearing pretty good i think about 10k on them and not to worn down yet

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
mastercraft courser M/T,cheap off brand of cooper tire.good traction and decent wear.

434fireboy52

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
DONT GO WITH BUCKSHOTS!!!!!! I use to work at part and tire place and heard nothing but bad. I have seen many sets wear to the wire in 8-10K and they cup like a mother and wear unven to boot. I have how ever had nothing but and heard nothing but great things about mud rovers. They do make a little noise but so do the buckshots.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals