• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

351W stroker + ZF into 85 ranger

defrag010

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I'm putting together a semi-low budget little project. A guy at work is leaving for the military, and is leaving me an old '85 2wd ranger single cab/long bed/5spd that's seen better days. It has a rebuilt 2.8 that comes with it, but I won't be using it. Pretty much all I'm going to do is rip out the interior (except the dash), bolt two of my race seats in, flat black it, and make it into a fun little beater toy.

Now, where my drivetrain plan comes in to play, I haven't been able to find much by searching. ZF is too short of a string to search on this forum, so I don't know what all kind of answers I'll get concerning that.

The engine is a 440c.i. 351W based stroker. stock 400M crank that's been stroked (w/o welding) to 4.25" with SBC rod journal diameter, and all the other necessary mods to get it to work in a 351w block. aftermarket 4-bolt main caps (boss 302 style), and a girdle hold everything together. It's got 6.125" eagle h-beams that are hanging 4.060" JE dished pistons. The shortblock is almost together, so all I have to worry about finding are top end parts. I'll probably just get some pro-comp alum SB ford heads, and a pro-products "typhoon" 351W EFI intake.

The truck is a manual, and I want to keep it that way because it will be fun, yet the truck won't be competitive in racing. The motor will make over 500 ft/lbs of torque with good heads, so I have been trying to think of a tranny that will be able to hold up to it. A T5 or a m5od (or whatever the mazda 5 speed that came in F150's is) will have no chance in hell, and I came across the 351W ZF.

Does anyone have a 351W-based motor and a ZF in their ranger? Will there be any fitment issues like having to re-do the floorpan?

Lastly, what about EFI? A big standalone would be too much for this semi-low budget project, so I've been trying to research what all is available for tuning on the stock EEC. Are there any self-tuning software, or self-chip burners to where I can tune the stock EEC by myself? If I was able to flash the EEC, would a 351w truck EFI wiring/computer system be able to run this motor decently?

86XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'86
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
as far as fabrication goes without a body lift you will need a cowl induction hood...almost positive atleast...i have been told on this site that a 5.8 is too tall.

Josh

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
You need a body lift to clear a ZF unless you feel like redoing the floor and firewall. It's pretty tall and large. If you want to go fast the ZF is the wrong choice; it's a truck transmission. Really 500ft-lbs is out of the range of a ZF. Depending on the two models you can get for a SBF they are rated at either 420 or 470 ft-lbs. I'm making over those numbers as well so they will hold 500 but you are over the rating. I C6 would be the way to go. I'm in the works of a 460 for in the truck and I won't be using a BBF ZF in it, built C6 all the way. You will shift faster, handle the power better and break less stuff from shock loads. I don't think you will cheaply find a way to get it to work efficiently. You will be replacing everything; why not just start with aftermarket parts? You'll need to change the stock 7.5 rear axle as well.

Matt

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
a toploader 4-spd or a T56 ($$) will probably be much more suitable for the application.

defrag010

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Will you have to cut the tranny tunnel to use a C6 if you have no body lift?

How much body lift do you have, projectnightmare?

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
Will you have to cut the tranny tunnel to use a C6 if you have no body lift?

How much body lift do you have, projectnightmare?
ya you will need to do some modification to the tranny tunnel.

red85

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 ci
Transmission
Automatic
Lastly, what about EFI? A big standalone would be too much for this semi-low budget project, so I've been trying to research what all is available for tuning on the stock EEC. Are there any self-tuning software, or self-chip burners to where I can tune the stock EEC by myself? If I was able to flash the EEC, would a 351w truck EFI wiring/computer system be able to run this motor decently?
You have options galore for this. I'm building a W based combo and looking at doing a GM style TBI setup with a GM PCM and sensors etc. This can be done with jy parts for under $500. You could also use a Ford based setup for about the same $$. I have a ton of this stuff hanging around and if the GM stuff doesn't work out I plan to use it. The only thing I plan to change is the upper plenum and throttle body as it will not clear my hood very easily. I plan on using an upper plenum from a car instead of the truck one that I already have.

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
I have a 3in body lift and I still had to cut a decent hole in the trans tunnel and had to beat the firewall some. It is pretty close still. When I first mashed the gas I put a big dent in the floor board from the bellhousing hitting. The ZF is much larger than a C6. With a C6 and no body lift you will have to do a little work around the seam area at the bottom of the firewall but nothing like you would need with a ZF. If you can find an old top loader that would be the manual that you would want. If you can't find one of them the C6 would be the next best. Granted it would need a rebuild like all the older autos but they are a dime a dozen if you look around.

Matt

defrag010

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
what kind of toploader should I be looking for if I was wanting to stay manual?

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
Actually I don't know of it by any other name than a Ford toploader. Ask any guy that knows anything about Fords; he will know what you are talking about. From what I know it replaced the BW T-10, so that was in the mid 60s. You can find it in a good many Fords but the super rare ones will be the large input shaft versions found in some 427s and up. The smaller input can be found behind anything from a 200ci to the 390. Both are super strong. If you find someone who know what they have you will pay for it. I know a guy who has 3 of them collecting dust and won't sell them.

Matt

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The guy to talk to about any top-loader is
http://www.4speedtoploaders.com/
The top-loader shifter position did differ on application (Mustang/Fairlane) so watch out for that. The later ones with over-drive were a much weaker case.
Matt, the C-6 also came with the large input shaft, 1 3/8" if you didn't know already.
Dave

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
That's why I say C6 for any big number engine, for an auto it has a pretty big input and an automatic is always easier on the drivetrain. From what I remember with the top loaders all the close ratio were for the 427, 428 and 429s. The wide ratio will be the smaller input for the 390 and below. I'm pretty sure you can put any of them behind any of the big or small blocks with the correct bell housing. I'll have to check with the neighbor on that one. I drove a fox body with a 347 and top loader before, what a sweet ride.

Matt

Hey dave, I see you have a 427R. I saw one drive by the other day and fell in love with it. What is the 427R package, I can't find any specs on it.

Matt

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Matt,
You very correct - again. The early Ford stuff was a lot more interchangable than it is today. I got my big input C-6 from a low mileage BIG Merc crusier.
The 427R is a 4.6 motor with a roots blower on it, lowered, special struts and sway bars, special seats, gauges and a really short throw shifter. The 427 is the rated hp, torque is over 390 ft-lbs. Fun to drive.
Dave

HoleshotKFX400

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If you wanna save modding the trans tunnel, just go with a c4. They build c4's to handle 1000+hp and there a lot smaller and lighter. If you want over drive go with a AOD, they build those to handle lots of power too. You can pick up a c4 for lets say 200??? bucks or so, and get a TCI rebuild kit that comes with the new bands and valve body mods, and your set. Toploader would work too but there like 7 bills on ebay

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals