• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

85 2.8 a4ld to 90' 2.9 a4ld swap, have questions

87Rangerdude

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Automatic
first off, i purchased a 1990 ranger 2.9l a4ld that has been rebuilt recently, from what info i've gathered is that it will work on the 85 but i need to swap the electronics? i've never dealt with automatic transmissions so im pretty lost.

87Rangerdude

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Automatic
bump, need help please

umpire613

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
ford
mer
Transmission
Manual
Need a little more info.. so you had a 2.9 liter, FI ..I assume with the al4d auto correct? Yeah you really need the wiring harness from a comparable unit or just make your own. kind of tough though the tranny is electronicly shifted ie has a number of solinoids if you will that cause the tranny to shift. so you need the wiring and the ecm and electronics to make it all happen. not undoable but a lot of time to rebuild your wiring. plus you need the ecm that will control the fi injectors.

hope this helps

Cookster128

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Fuel Injection

Let's get this conversation going again...

Just wondering how much work I'm looking at (and if it is even possible) to take the fuel injection, intake manifold and all, from a 2.9L V6 and bolt it up to my 2.8L V6 that I'm rebuilding.

HndMeDnBroncoII

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
BroncoII
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
it depends if the 90 tranny has more solonoids than the 84 tranny which i think it does.
if so you need to swap the electrics.which is goona be a headache you would do much better to just drive the 90.or swap the complete 90 engine tranny and wiring into the 84
good luck

igiveup

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hello

Swap out VBs and you are good to go. When you have the 85 VB out put a shift correction kit into it. Follow the instructions an its all good to go. My 85 B2 has an A4LD from a 94 Areostar and its still strong with the 85 VB.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals