• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

cant get trany back on

scrapper

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
1975 302
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6+3
Tire Size
33/12.50/15
I am trying to change the clutch in a 94 4 cylinder 5 speed . The problem is getting the trany back in. I am going at it alone in rock driveway, no trany jack. It is on almost but won't go any closer than 1/2 in. I haven't put a clutch in for a couple of years am I forgetting something? I tried to pull it closer with bolts but didn't want to bend anything. I am thinking I may have to pull it back out. I was wondering if I put a couple of 8 inch long studs in a couple of the bolt holes would it help to slip it on even? I am sure that I will be really sore tomorrow, but anything that will help please let me know. It done gave me a big butt whoppin. :annoyed:

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I am trying to change the clutch in a 94 4 cylinder 5 speed . The problem is getting the trany back in. I am going at it alone in rock driveway, no trany jack. It is on almost but won't go any closer than 1/2 in. I haven't put a clutch in for a couple of years am I forgetting something? I tried to pull it closer with bolts but didn't want to bend anything. I am thinking I may have to pull it back out. I was wondering if I put a couple of 8 inch long studs in a couple of the bolt holes would it help to slip it on even? I am sure that I will be really sore tomorrow, but anything that will help please let me know. It done gave me a big butt whoppin. :annoyed:
Central Illinois????? Where are you located...ask for some help dude. If your close enough I'll come over and give you a hand.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Did you use a clutch alignment tool?

If the clutch disc isn't centered to accept the tranny's input shaft, you run into the very same problem your describing..

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like the disc isn't aligned. Take a set of bolts and cut the heads off for dowels to slide the trans in on, make sure to cut slots in the heads of those bolts so that you can take them out with a flat screwdriver. I just did a 94 2.3 clutch yesterday, make sure you do something with the shift rail plugs.

scrapper

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
1975 302
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6+3
Tire Size
33/12.50/15
I am located north of Decatur. I used the clutch alignment tool. I did turn the trany to line up the splines but it don't want to go. I am wondering if I bent pilot bearing or something? I could probly wrench it on with the bolts? I'm a little nervous about tearing something up. Its raining today so I will try to figure it out tomorrow.
I just did a 94 2.3 clutch yesterday, make sure you do something with the shift rail plugs.
what do you mean? I am not really familar with a shift rail plug. I did notice the chilton manual sucks for the most part. :icon_confused:

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I noticed this sometimes...that the tranny doesn't want to slide right into place one time and the next time you try it slides right in. The most logical guess is that the splines on the input shaft aren't quite lining up or that you need to put a little grease on it to help it slide in.

Did you replace the pilot bearing?

Btw, I'm just a bit northwest of you in lincoln.

scrapper

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
1975 302
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6+3
Tire Size
33/12.50/15
I did change the pilot bearing. The old one was a little bit loose so I got a loaner tool that didn't fit from auto zone to pull it.I was wondering if there was anything I could make to pull the old one so I did not have to worry about banging up the loaner. It worked with one hook and wedging it alittle, then hitting it with a hammer. I will try to pull it back spin the shaft a little and slide it back in. I got a whole clutch,pressure plate,throw out bearing and pilot bearing kit from advanced auto.

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Did you check that the input shaft will fit into the pilot bearing. ie. is it the correct pilot bearing.

scrapper

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
1975 302
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6+3
Tire Size
33/12.50/15
It looked just like the one that came out? I didn't check that close but it was in a sealed package that had all of the other parts in it? It was listed for my truck.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals