• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Starts but won't idle

ausm7499

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I have a 92 2.9L that starts fine but then dies, right before it dies the check engine light comes on. It ran just fine when I parked it in the drive way and then when I started it to put it in the garage it did as I described above. If I started it and keep my foot on the pedal to keep the rpm's up it will run with the check engine light on but as soon as I take my foot of the gas it dies. I have no idea what is wrong with it and would really appreciate some imput.

Thank you

0ldman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You're idle air control is stuck.

Check on the passenger side of the upper intake just behind the throttle body. It clicks constantly while working, tends to get stuck easily.

Take it apart and clean it, it will screw up again eventually. Should be fairly cheap. R&R is easy, 2 screws and one wire clip.

ausm7499

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I need more help

I have new issues and could use some help if anybody has some idea's or imput. In my first post I stated that my ranger would not idle but after a short drive the check engine light turned off and it ran fine for a couple of days. Now I can not get the truck to start, I checked and I am getting spark so I am assuming that it is a fuel issue. The motor turns over but it kind of sluggish and it doesn't even attempt to fire. I really don't want to take this to the shop so any imput would be appreciated. If any one can tell me how to check to see if my fuel pressure regulator and fuel pump or working properly that would narrow things down.

baddis

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Sohc 1.5 ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
what color is the spark?

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
I have new issues and could use some help if anybody has some idea's or imput. In my first post I stated that my ranger would not idle but after a short drive the check engine light turned off and it ran fine for a couple of days. Now I can not get the truck to start, I checked and I am getting spark so I am assuming that it is a fuel issue. The motor turns over but it kind of sluggish and it doesn't even attempt to fire. I really don't want to take this to the shop so any imput would be appreciated. If any one can tell me how to check to see if my fuel pressure regulator and fuel pump or working properly that would narrow things down.
Not sure of your vintage (92) check the igintion module (aka TFI on older units)...on the older units this also was link to getting the fuel pumps to operate as well as the spark.

but turn your key on (not start)...can you hear the fuel pump run for a few seconds...if not, could be , fuse to run the pump....a fuel relay

if you hear the pump..might be the FPR over fueling (flooding it out)

hope that helps

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
When my coil went bad it still ran but had a very annoying intermittent miss. Swapped to a good used coil and it is way better, but may look into a good stock replacement coil that is NEW, not used.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals