• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A4LD Differences

Dandurand

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hey I have an 88 4x4 Ford Ranger with a 2.9L and I have a few questions about the A4LD.

Recently my transmission has went to transmission heaven and I have decided to replace insted of rebuild. I am a 19 year old looking to make ends meet working at autozone so the money is tight. Luckly we have a local salvage yard the only charges around $150 for used automatic transmission.

I have determined that the transmission in my truck is an A4LD but i was recently told by a local transmission shop is that an 87 or older A4LD will not work for my truck because of different electronics. I have located a transmisson in an 87 ford bronco II and would like to puchace it but am afraid to fork out the cash if it will not work. I also have been told about the solinoid difference in the mid 88 mods.

Please any Information you have to offer will be more than appreciated.

Devin Dandurand

piotrsko

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
83-85/86/87/88
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
11" KOSTOV 192V
Transmission
Manual
87/88 are practically the same vehicle.

the bronco will fit, but make sure the transfer case powers the front wheels, otherwise you'll have to swap t-cases. not hard just annoying. check the tranny fluid on the dipstick before you buy it. dark red and burnt means it may have problems.

yes there are different solenoids, but if you check on someones 87 you will see only 3 connections, speedo, park neutral, engine vacuum.

in the how to and technical areas there are all sorts of info about the proposed swap.

Bent Bolt

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Supercharged 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
87/88 are practically the same vehicle.
That may be so but trannys won't swap directly. 85 - 87 are a single solenoid , 2 terminal connection. the 88-94 are 2 solenoid , 3 terminal connector.

That said, you can swap trannys ** IF ** you swap the valve bodys as well.

igiveup

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hello

In my 85 B2 I have and 94 A4ld from a 4.0l areostar. I used the VB from the 85 and installed a shift correction kit and it runs strong after a year and a half. Just wish my 2.8l had a bit more get up and go.

igiveup

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
I'd look for one out of a 4.0L ranger or explorer.

fordmandan87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
87/92/97/11
Make / Model
Ford×3/Freightl
Engine Size
/5.0/4.0/7.3/DD15
Transmission
Manual
how much do you know about trannys and how much do you want to learn? also what are your intentions for the vehicle is it just a dd or a weekend wheeler too?

cocoasranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Just to clear up a point, they don't allow A4LD's in transmission heaven.:icon_cheers:

Dandurand

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I just want it to be a dayly driver again. btw Yesterday i had sometime and decides to crawl under it to check the vacumm mod and see if it was the problem. I was fine and still had the diaphram intacked. but when i was under there i also noted that i could only find 2 electricel plugs on the transmission. since the 2 solinoid transmissions didnt come out untill mid 88 is it possible i have a 88 with a single solinoid transmission?

Bent Bolt

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Supercharged 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
since the 2 solinoid transmissions didnt come out untill mid 88 is it possible i have a 88 with a single solinoid transmission?
I suppose. I betcha you have the 3 terminal connector tho......................

Dandurand

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
yeah i will have to get under it and really check. but i did learn alot for ya'll Thanks alot guys.

Devin

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals