• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4R44E filter HELP!

Slim

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 + 2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 and 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
So i'm in the middle of my transmission fluid and filter change. NOT going well.

I have the pan off and the old filter out. I compared the new and old filter for shape and size and it looks good. I try installing it and for some reason the long bolt that holds the filter in place won't screw into ..... anything.

After carefully inspecting the filters it has come to my attention that the new filter is slightly different in one small but important spot. The area where the bolt passes through the filter is slightly thicker - thick enough that the bolt I have is now useless. :annoyed:

Am I missing something here? Am I not supposed to re-use this bolt for the new filter or something? It sounds strange to me, but I figured I should ask first, before calling the people I bought the filter from and freaking out.

HELP?!??!??!?!

PATIA!

:annoyed:

alaskan155

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 2000
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
7.3l/4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
if i remember right(atleast i remember someone talking about it) they have 2 versions a 2wd and 4wd version, the 4wd being larger for the deeper pan.

Bent Bolt

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Supercharged 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Check the box. Most kits come with a longer bolt

Slim

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 + 2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 and 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Okay, spoke with my parts guy. The unit I pulled out is an aftermarket replacement. What's probably happened is that a previous changer installed this unit along with a shorter bolt. We verified the unit he sold me (a Ford unit with Ford p/n's) is the correct one, so I am simply installing the new Ford filter with a longer bolt.

About to tackle this now, so i'll update later today, and in the next few days, with what happens.

We won't ask about the drain plug kit I installed ..... and snapped in half. :bawling: Thankfully the local Performance Improvements had one in stock, so i'm ready to go.

What a ****in' day! :annoyed:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals