• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Can I Do It With No Problems

SCRAPINRANGER302

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
I will be moving to Va in the next year from De. I'm trying to see if my ranger will be up to the task. My ranger is a 98 xlt x-cab 2wd auto. I have no clue how to tell if I have the towing package. I need to be able to tow 87 gti 16v racer to Va with me. A 2wheel dolly is out of the question. I'm planning on purchasing an aluminum open car trailer because its lighter. My vw weighs less then 2000lbs. I believe the trailer I'm looking at weighs 1800lbs. Currently The truck has a bumper mount. I'm getting rid of that and would like to get the best hitch for my truck. I'm planning on installing a trans temp guage. My truck already has a factory trans cooler. Will my truck be able to make this trip with no issues? What else should Ipurchase for this trip? Will I have to stop at weigh stations along the way? I always wondered about that one. Thank you in advance

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
what motor and rear gear ratio? if it has the 4.0 and 3.73's it should be capable. you will want trailer brakes! dont worry about weigh stations, their only concerned with commercial carriers. why would a 2 wheel dolly be out of the question? it would be cheaper than a alumminum trailer. definetly get a reiceiver hitch. you may want a load-distributing hitch head with sway bars as well.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
I'm under the impression the towed vehicle in question is more like a race car. The rear suspension/tires may not care for long periods of crappy highway.

I towed my dad's Ion on a open car trailer with my Red Ranger (see sig). Not something I would do for any real distance, and you can forget about highway speeds with a 2.3L. That trailer is certainly not lighter than a Dolly.

x2 on the what engine you have and what ratio. As long as you get a good hitch (Reese, Valley, Etc.) and a ball with as thick a shaft as you can get you should be good on that end. I've been tickled pink with my Reese hitch.

Last edited:

Frank The Tank

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
I towed my 3200lb drag car on a 16ft open car trailor.... through central Ky to home over some pretty steeep grades with a 5spd, 2.3 liter 2wd short bed step-side (on a bumper hitch, oh yeah) with no trailor brakes. It wouldn't get out of 3rd gear going up the hills though, and you needed about 2 miles to stop.

Honestly the only concern I have for you is the trans.

Frank

SCRAPINRANGER302

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
I planned on getting as big as a hitch as I could. I would feel much safer with a full trailer. The truck has a 3.0 engine and 3.73 rear gears. I planned on getting one of those load leveling kits along with the air lift helper springs. What concerns about the trans do you have Frank? Is it something I can do to take care of a potential issue? Thanks for all the input. I dont want to have to get my dads jeep limited to tow my car all the way down. I would rather put the money into my truck so I will have a capable light tow vehicle after my move. Once I get down there my v8 swap will happen. My state wont let me do it legally now.

Frank The Tank

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Ive towed (with my 88 auto in sig) it wound up crapping out, Ford's auto's are throw away transmissions IMO.

Frank

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The automatic in your truck is much better than the A4LD that blesses Frank's Ranger... and mine.

darkspork

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Why is a 2 wheel dolly out of the question? The GTI is FWD, right?

SCRAPINRANGER302

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
The 2 wheel dolly is out of the question because of how very low it is. The car has $2,400 worth of coilovers on it and is set very firm. It has taken me almost 1 1/2 years to get it set up right where I like it and I don't want to go through the hassle of adjusting then readjusting then adjusting some more and then adjusting and readjusting some more. The full trailer will work better for me in the long run. I have other vehicles and projects I would like to be able to tow. I just cant see wasting the money on a 2 wheel dolly when I would prefer the full size. I realize the ranger is very small to be a for real tow rig. I dont want it to be a tow rig I would just like to be able to use it when I need it. What other things should I be concearned about with my trip?Thanks again everybody for the input.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You can use a much smaller trailer for that car. I would get a 6'x12' or 6x14'--not knowing how long the GTI is--single axle utility trailer with a 3,500# axle on it and a drop gate like they use for lawn equipment. That VW would be just fine on it and it's more within the ability of your Ranger. These weigh about 1,000# soaking wet. Brakes are cheap and easy to add if it doesn't have them. And it would be very useful around the house when you get it. Much better for daily life than an 1,800# car hauler.

Last edited:

SCRAPINRANGER302

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
The vw is small. Physically I think it would fit on there I would just be concerned about the integrity of the trailer. Do you think that I could actually do that with no problems? I'm curious about this one. Thank you

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
The vw is small. Physically I think it would fit on there I would just be concerned about the integrity of the trailer. Do you think that I could actually do that with no problems? I'm curious about this one. Thank you
Actially I think it would. Maybe add some extra bracing under where the wheels would sit (just in case). If the trailer is built related to what the axle can carry then definitely (3500 lb axle, 1000lbs of trailer, supporting 2,500lbs). Those style trailers pictured are everywhere, alot of which commercially produced, and of fairly basic ,proven, and documented design. Just double check the weight capacity on them to make sure.

In addition to the extra bracing, there is weight distribution. It's a little trickier on a single axled trailer, but not bad. You can easily fine tune the wheel placement backwards or forward to keep roughly 600lbs tongue weight (If you end up using it that much to justify moving the axle), along with a weight distributing hitch if nessecary (Or just the distributing hitch itself).

Being that it's a lightweight racecar and not a 3000-4000lb or more loaded sedan makes your options much broader.

Frank The Tank

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
1x8's crossways with plywood over them will brace it enough to not punch through as well.

Frank

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It's got 2-by decking on it. It will have no trouble with that car.

These trailers do seem flimsy. But they work. Making sure you have tongue weight is the main issue--as was stated.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
One problem about having sides on a trailer you haul a car with, is it makes it tough to get out of the car once you have it loaded.

That short of a deck won't leave you much room to move the thing around to get the balance right. They are made for lawn mowers and four wheelers, not cars.

I think by the time you get one of those, dink around getting brakes on it, I vote you would be better off to get a trailer that is actually made for hauling cars. You can get a nice used car trailer for about what those single axle trailers cost new.

It sounds like you have other things to haul (it doesn't take much to get something bigger thana VW), and maybe other things to pull the trailer with (??) so I would get as big as you are going to need it rather than just big enough to squeek by with.

Or you could check out a rental too.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals