• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

In Need Of Trans Gut Swapping Instructions

Orie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey Im getting ready to swap the guts of the 2.3 m5od-r1 with the one on my 3.0 and i was wondering if there are any tips or tricks, I've never done this before. I've fixed almost every other part of a car/truck but never a transmission. If you guys could give me some pointers that would be great so i don't ruin this thing... thanks guys!

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Other than the fact that you must get both apart (and keep the parts seperated)
and swap cases from one parts pile to the other there is nothing that can easily
be typed in a post that will REALLY help you until you run into a specific problem.

You are premptively asking someone to write a book...
I will say read other posts on transmission disassembly and rebuilding and you'll get most of what has been written before.

DO NOT remove the reverse idler gear from it's shaft, unbolt the shaft from the side of the tranmission case (the bolt with the 17mm head) and remove it as an assembly

when starting to take the back apart don't take the 5th/Rev fork off of
it's detent shaft remove the retaining bolt with the 12mm head from the
side of the transmission case and when you withdraw the 5th reverse synchro assembly remove the fork with it's shaft when you remove the synchro.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals