• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A4LD to FM145 swap

Chevelle Kid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok, I'm swapping my A4LD for an FM145. I want to know what exactly I need to do to complete this swap. I was reading the tech articles and came across this...

Replacing an A4LD Automatic with a 2.8 Manual Transmission:

A transmission that came off a 2.8L will work on a 2.9L. The 2.9L flywheel and starter will bolt up and work perfectly. The 2.8L clutch disc and pressure plate bolt perfectly to the 2.9L flywheel. This means that the 2.8L, 2.9L, and 4.0L all use the same clutch internals.

The only downside to swapping in an early Mitsubishi for an A4LD is that you need the tranny cross member that bolts INSIDE the frame. On the Mitsubishi's there is no t-case adapter as it is built into the tranny. This causes the tranny cross member to be moved 2.5" toward the motor and you need to lengthen the rear driveshaft and shorten the front one.

Is this true? I have the shafts out of both vehicles and both seemed to be the same length, I held them alongside each other.

So, any help is apprecieated...lol

Ben

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
absolutely correct. when replacing n a4ld with an fm145, you will need to move the transmission cross member. there should be holes in the frame to put the cross member where it needs to go. you'll also have to use the shorter front shaft and the longer rear shaft.

i've done this swap btw. it only lasted like 10k miles before i swapped out the junk mitsu trans for a mazda trans. the mazda trans is the same length as the automatic though, so you need the drive shafts from the auto if you switch to a mazda trans.

Last edited:

Chevelle Kid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
absolutely correct. when replacing n a4ld with an fm145, you will need to move the transmission cross member. there should be holes in the frame to put the cross member where it needs to go. you'll also have to use the shorter front shaft and the longer rear shaft.

i've done this swap btw. it only lasted like 10k miles before i swapped out the junk mitsu trans for a mazda trans. the mazda trans is the same length as the automatic though, so you need the drive shafts from the auto if you switch to a mazda trans.
Well I have this trans now...lol I'll probabally pick up a M50D within the next year or so...lol

I also plan on doing the 4.0 clutch swap too

Ben

cocoasranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well I have this trans now...lol I'll probabally pick up a M50D within the next year or so...lol

Ben
+1 You won't be sorry you did either of these upgrades. I'd go directly to the Mazda trans now if funds allowed.:icon_thumby:

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD

Ben
make sure you hang on to your old drive shafts. you'll need them when you switch to a mazda trans. sounds like youre gonna do exactly what i did.

Chevelle Kid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Probably...lol I have the 4.0 clutch stuff now, I just need to get the trans and pedal assy. from the other truck. I have it 99.9999999% out except for the damn clutch pedal. How do I get the freaking clip off of the pedal from the rod that goes into the slave cylinder on the firewall?????

Ben

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Probably...lol I have the 4.0 clutch stuff now, I just need to get the trans and pedal assy. from the other truck. I have it 99.9999999% out except for the damn clutch pedal. How do I get the freaking clip off of the pedal from the rod that goes into the slave cylinder on the firewall?????

Ben
very very carefully... and you'll still probably break it like i did. i've broken every one i've touched. last i knew they were still available from ford though, like $6-8 iirc. oh and even if you break one or 2 barbs off of it, it will still probably work. i've used them like that before. :dunno:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals