PDA

View Full Version : Odd staring problem and idles rough?

JohnBoy1
06-25-2009, 02:24 PM
I jsut picked up a 92 3.0 auto that makes a odd whirring or whinning noise when u turn the key to run, if u dont wait till it stops the truck wont fire up or sometimes it wont start at all for a few. Its intermettent but its aggravating, it also has a rough idle but runs great anything above idle. Ive put a new coil on,fuel filter and fuel pump relay. Any ideas?:icon_confused:

Earl43P
06-25-2009, 02:49 PM
When you turn the key to Run, the fuel pump runs for 2 seconds to pressurize the system. Soounds like your pressure is bleeding off.

Try turning the key to Run two or three times before you crank it. If it starts reliably, you either have a bad fuel pump (it has an integral checkvalve that fails - very common), a seeping/leaking fuel line connection (fuel filter is a common place) or a stuck open/leaking fuel injector (not that common).

I ALWAYS wait for the FP to run/stop before I crank, on everything I drive. Good habit with fuel injection.

JohnBoy1
06-25-2009, 05:56 PM
I wish it was only about 2seconds, its more like 10 or 15 seconds waiting on it to stop so it will run.

JohnBoy1
06-25-2009, 07:28 PM
Ran a fuel pressure test and it pushed 30 psi running and 42 with the line undone from the regulator. Im guessing its not the pump and regulator.:icon_confused: