• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tow Bar (A Frame) Question.......

militarydave

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Hey everybody,

i have a question about towing a Crown Vic (CV) with my 2.9L Ranger or Titan for i'd say about 80 miles (roundtrip) using a Rigid A-Frame Tow Bar. I have the tow bar, with 2 inch ball clearance and i'm a first time user of a Tow bar.

First, i'd like to know:

1. does the CV need to have the driveshaft disconnected (or how do i know it has a trans pump)? its a RWD. would it be ok to let it idle while towing in neutral?
2. Will any tow chain work to also support the tow bar, and is it safe to wrap it around the A-frame?
3. do I have to lock the steering wheel to make turns towing with the Tow Bar?

I've never used a tow bar while towing with all 4 wheels on the ground. i "had" and 26 footer w/electronic brakes a while back but now i'm in apartment complex and cant keep one here. I also dont trust storage places either.

any tips/tricks/steps to successfully tow it?

thanks,

-dave

Sprag-O

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Most likely want to pull the D-shaft on the crown vic...

I really wouldn't suggest towing with a tow bar on that ranger. Crown vics are big beasts. They are the last of the frame-on cars.... I could see a 20 mile light tow, but that thing is going to be pushing you all over the road. I would not do it unless you had brake assist on the car you're towing.

That said, the wheel normally needs to be unlocked.... and how exactly you want to use the chain? to actually attach the vehicles?

militarydave

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
upon futher investigation.... turns out if i disconnect the D-shaft.... i'll have tons of tranny fluid leaking everywhere. i'll have to use my full size truck for the pull.

I hear the chain is for use if the tow bar disconnects from the truck to the the car being towed.

-dave

Sprag-O

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
You can pull the d-shaft at the axle, and just tie it up... if its just a safety chain that you want to run through the tow-bar... thats fine. I would definately suggest using a fullsize if you can get your hands on one.

Again, a few mile pull down back roads with the ranger you'd most likely be alright, but you're looking at 40+ miles of fighting the car the entire way. Titan should be about right size to drag it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals