• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9 Dosent hold fuel pressure

177CIOfPureLove

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys. My truck wont start quickly these days unless i turn the ignition from off to run about 6 times on and off cycling the fuel pump. otherwise i would just sit there on the starter. Its an 89, the fuel pump is newer i replaced it myself, it always worked great after i replaced it. I also replaced the FPR. the fuel filter i replaced twice. i did it again recently thinking maybe in the 30,000 miles i put on the one i replaced maybe it was dirty, and it was still very clean. I dont have a fuel pressure gauge, but if i open the sharader valve on the fuel rail i dont get much pressure. it doesnt spray around like it should. Mind you when shes running she runs flawlessly, no sputtering or hesitating. I dont think its an injector, i dont know what it is. Is there a valve on the fuel pump? i am kinda getting tired of dealing with it. She runs so well its kinda embarassing to have a rig that doesnt want to start without me priming the fuel rail over...lol...like some kind of ocd thing turning my ignition on and off...the g/f really doesnt understand what i mean when i try and explain why i do these things. hahaha. Thank you so much.

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys. My truck wont start quickly these days unless i turn the ignition from off to run about 6 times on and off cycling the fuel pump. otherwise i would just sit there on the starter. Its an 89, the fuel pump is newer i replaced it myself, it always worked great after i replaced it. I also replaced the FPR. the fuel filter i replaced twice. i did it again recently thinking maybe in the 30,000 miles i put on the one i replaced maybe it was dirty, and it was still very clean. I dont have a fuel pressure gauge, but if i open the sharader valve on the fuel rail i dont get much pressure. it doesnt spray around like it should. Mind you when shes running she runs flawlessly, no sputtering or hesitating. I dont think its an injector, i dont know what it is. Is there a valve on the fuel pump? i am kinda getting tired of dealing with it. She runs so well its kinda embarassing to have a rig that doesnt want to start without me priming the fuel rail over...lol...like some kind of ocd thing turning my ignition on and off...the g/f really doesnt understand what i mean when i try and explain why i do these things. hahaha. Thank you so much.

Are you sure that you're not getting fuel...maybe no spark??
a faulty ingition module or TFI & will also affect fuel delivery.

Are you hearing fuel pump prime/activate everytime you turn the key ??

ALSO possible you may have 2 fuel pumps,( 89' may only have 1)....1 low pressure pump in the tank and a higher pressure pump on the frame rail....maybe the in tank unit/pump is faulty.

maybe the Fuel Pressure Regulator (FPR)....if the vacuum line on the back side is wet, or has fuel running out of it ...replace it...

hope that helps

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
Yes, there is a check valve in the fuel pump. It helps to maintain pressure in the fuel system when the engine is turned off. It can get dirt in it or it can get damaged to allow the pressure to bleed off.

My 89 Ranger had this problem at around 100,000 miles. I had to cycle the ignition switch several times to get it to fire up right away after setting overnight. I bought a fuel pressure gage to test it and sure enough as soon as I turned off the engine the fuel pressure would fall off quickly. I replaced the fuel pump and the problem went away.

There could also be other areas that would cause the pressure to bleed off but the fuel pump is the first place I would suspect.

177CIOfPureLove

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Yes, it is an 89 with only 1 pump....anyway i like your idea of pressure relief somewhere else, but i cannot think of where...the seal at the fpr doesnt leak, and i have no leaks around my filter. My fuel pump sat around my garage for a while but it was nevfer used. maybe some crap got past the sock at the bottom of my sending unit? i replaced the whole thing because i wanted to know my fuel pump was solid and my fuel gauge didnt work. I really dont want to take the bed off again and take it all out and see what the deal is. lol. I might not have a choice. And i am sure its not my TFI module, the thing couldnt run any better. I guess the check valve is at fault.

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
Yes, it is an 89 with only 1 pump....anyway i like your idea of pressure relief somewhere else, but i cannot think of where...the seal at the fpr doesnt leak, and i have no leaks around my filter. My fuel pump sat around my garage for a while but it was nevfer used. maybe some crap got past the sock at the bottom of my sending unit? i replaced the whole thing because i wanted to know my fuel pump was solid and my fuel gauge didnt work. I really dont want to take the bed off again and take it all out and see what the deal is. lol. I might not have a choice. And i am sure its not my TFI module, the thing couldnt run any better. I guess the check valve is at fault.
Maybe a fuel pressure check is in order..to see if it steady or falls off rapidly after shutting off. as mentioned by gw33gp, & the FP maybe bad too.

the FPR can be bad with out leaking allover the place. If you remove the small vacuum line, and it has fuel dripping from it, (no fuel should be there), it is bad . but it can be bad without leaking out the vacuum line.
had car that did simular things as you discribed...replaced the FPR and started MUCH better.

good luck

Last edited:

177CIOfPureLove

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Thing is, the FPR is brand new. I replaced it thinking it was that before. A couple of months ago. I am really only seeing it being the stupid valve in the pump.

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
Thing is, the FPR is brand new. I replaced it thinking it was that before. A couple of months ago. I am really only seeing it being the stupid valve in the pump.
Sorry...didn't realize that your cover that base...I missed it in original post.
then with out a pressure test ...your probibly looking at the pump.
where did you get your pump last from? was it a store name brand (Auto zone premire for example),or a noted after market known brand (Carter for example)??
1yr warrenty or lifetime?

I'm looking at a pump replacement as well....just try to stay away from doing things over...your situation.

is this a all-in-one pump or is the check valve something that can be taken off and replaced??

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals