• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Transmission filter question

plinker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989 & 1990
Make / Model
Ford's
Engine Size
2.9L's
Transmission
Automatic
Why dont auto transmissions have a motor oil style filter? I would think that would work better then the one in the pan.

If you could splice into the oil cooler lines with a filter base it would be easy to change, plus catch most of the dirt ete...

Just curious.

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
some do, just depends on who designed it.

i don't know if anybody has done it but the filter in the pan system has worked fine for years no reason to change it.

all the external filters i've seen have all been bright red with transmission written all over them

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I installed an external filter for my transmission. It's a Magnefine brand filter. Check them out. I have a stock aux cooler in addition to the cooler in the radiator. There are 2 rubber lines that connect to the aux cooler. I just shortened one of the rubber lines and put the filter on in-line. It was really easy and is a real clean looking install. (pretty proud of myself :D) In addition to having filter media like an oil filter, it also has a magnet in it to attract and trap metallic particles. It's Napa part number 1-8512.

Last edited:

plinker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989 & 1990
Make / Model
Ford's
Engine Size
2.9L's
Transmission
Automatic
Cool! I'll look into it.

How often do you change the filter?

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Magnefine says to change it every year or every 30k miles. I'll probably change mine every time I drop the pan to change fluid, which is about every 25-30k miles.

Fordman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Cooler line filters only catch torque convertor debris, since not all fluid passes through the lines, too much dirt can still circulate. The convertor is however a major contributor of debris, so those filters are good to have also.

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Failing is easy. Everyone can do it.
Cooler line filters only catch torque convertor debris, since not all fluid passes through the lines, too much dirt can still circulate. The convertor is however a major contributor of debris, so those filters are good to have also.
Very true, it's also well known that the converter can be the 'dumping' ground for a whole bunch of crud. Makes one miss the days when the companies installed a drain plug in the beast. (you think what is coating the pan is nasty?...)

S-

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals