• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Gear shift lock up.

Cutter26

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Everything was working fine. I parked the truck and when I got back into it and tried to put her back in gear the shifter wasn't moving(automatic). I turned the truck off and then slid it into nutral and it started and I was able to drive again. No problems. I had to park and before I could think what I was doing I slid it back into park and that was it. I couldn't budge the shifter. I crawled under the truck and with the truck turned off I tried to move the shift lever on the tranny and it wasn't going anyware. Before I could start the truck after the first time it had happend. Once I got it home and tried to move the shifter on the tranny, she won't start now. The only thing I can think of is the module thing on the side of the tranny is shot, or something to do with the brake. I'm just guessing here. I'm not sure what tranny is in the truck. The truck is a 95 with a 3.0

Fordman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
The cable housing is prone to break at the tranny end, and will not get it into park all the way, causing neutral safety switch to do its job. Check if the cable housing is cracked between the mount to the tranny lever.

Everything was working fine. I parked the truck and when I got back into it and tried to put her back in gear the shifter wasn't moving(automatic). I turned the truck off and then slid it into nutral and it started and I was able to drive again. No problems. I had to park and before I could think what I was doing I slid it back into park and that was it. I couldn't budge the shifter. I crawled under the truck and with the truck turned off I tried to move the shift lever on the tranny and it wasn't going anyware. Before I could start the truck after the first time it had happend. Once I got it home and tried to move the shifter on the tranny, she won't start now. The only thing I can think of is the module thing on the side of the tranny is shot, or something to do with the brake. I'm just guessing here. I'm not sure what tranny is in the truck. The truck is a 95 with a 3.0

Cutter26

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks Fordman, thats going to be the first place I look. I'm not going to be able to get to the truck untill sunday. Its out in the country at my dads property. So when I do go is there any thing else I can look for. I'm going to disconnect the shifter cable from the tranny(if housing isn't broken) to see if my cable might be sticking somewhere. If thats not the problem, I'll try and shift the tranny manualy under the truck. I've never had a shifting column lock up like this before. Where is the neutral safty switch?, is it on the side of the tranny at the shift lever. The truck was starting in park before I messed with the shift lever under the truck. It just wouldn't shift out of park while the truck was running. Finally I was able to get the tranny in N with the truck shut off and push it off to the side of the driveway. What else would cause my shifter to lock up, is it really as easy as a broken piece of plastic? That would be sweet, I'm already thinking on how to drop the tranny. It does have over 260Km on it(not sure on miles).

Cutter26

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Well I finally got to the truck today. I unhooked the cable from the tranny and was able to easily shift through the gears. With the cable unhooked from the tranny It still won't shift. I can't see any cracks on the cable housing anywhere. Is the cable one piece from stearing column to the tranny. I'm thinking it might be the shifting mechanism in the column, or could it be my ignition switch. I don't need the key in the ignition to start the truck so that part is pretty worn out.

Bent Bolt

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Supercharged 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Check to see if your brake lamps are coming on with the brake pedal depressed.

Cutter26

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Blown brake fuse from a bare wire on a boat trailer. I did manage to make a really easy job and turn it into a headache. I must have broke somthing either in the column or the cable because the shifter won't go back to park, and only go as far as N.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals