PDA

View Full Version : Oshkosh trip

Red Ranger
06-18-2009, 05:57 PM
Son and I are headed to Oshkosh the last week of July. Can anyone tell me what good restaurants are in that area? Anything else to see up there besides the airshow?

Thanks,

Fx4wannabe01
06-19-2009, 03:16 AM
Acee Deece (i think the spelling is right). If you're up there for the EAA event, you'd wanna check out that bar and grille. Could be just a bar...but it has ALOT of memrobeliea. I went when I went to Oshkosh in 96...HOLY BALLS...it's been 12 years!!!!! wow..i'm gettin' old. That place might not be around anymore.

Red Ranger
06-19-2009, 03:54 PM
Thanks, Last time I was there was like in around '79. I remember that because I drove my '79 turbo Mustang up there when it was still new.

I'll look that place up.

JohnnyU
06-28-2009, 12:25 AM
I just drove through Oshkosh on Wednesday. Keep an eye out for the road construction on I-39; things were pretty torn up.

Red Ranger
06-28-2009, 06:24 AM
I just drove through Oshkosh on Wednesday. Keep an eye out for the road construction on I-39; things were pretty torn up.

Thanks for the heads up:icon_thumby:

JohnnyU
06-28-2009, 09:32 AM
One other thing I might suggest (but we didn't get a chance to look into) is a tour or at least a stop by the Oshkosh Corporation. They might have a museum or showroom that would be neat to tour.

http://www.oshkoshcorporation.com/

74duster318
06-28-2009, 10:49 AM
One other thing I might suggest (but we didn't get a chance to look into) is a tour or at least a stop by the Oshkosh Corporation. They might have a museum or showroom that would be neat to tour.

Just drive past the literally thousands of acres of military vehicles they have lined up in fenced off farmfields. I was up there last weekend, just to drive through town and to stop by a military vehicle dealer (not oshkosh corporation).

There used to be a pizza place across from the airport that I always went to with my dad and brother after the airshow. It may be West End Pizza...but I'm not totally sure. Great food! Great times!!
________
WELLBUTRIN SIDE EFFECT (http://www.classactionsettlements.org/lawsuit/wellbutrin/)

Red Ranger
06-29-2009, 07:40 AM

I will look into this. Sounds interesting, especially since my son is into WWII movies and such.

Just drive past the literally thousands of acres of military vehicles they have lined up in fenced off farmfields. I was up there last weekend, just to drive through town and to stop by a military vehicle dealer (not oshkosh corporation).

There used to be a pizza place across from the airport that I always went to with my dad and brother after the airshow. It may be West End Pizza...but I'm not totally sure. Great food! Great times!!

A great pizza place would be right up our alley. If we fly into Milwaukee, I do know a stop at the Safehouse is in order. If we drive, that will be way out of the way.

Red Ranger
06-29-2009, 07:54 AM
After reading the reviews for West End Pizza, it will be on the list. sounds exactly the type of pizza we like:yahoo:

appletonbill
07-01-2009, 08:09 AM
If you like 50's and 60's style drive-ins try Ardy & Ed's drive-in on at 2413 S. Main St. in Oshkosh. Traditional basket meals and such. They also have car hops on roller skates. Home-made rootbeer.

Mac
07-11-2009, 08:05 PM
Don't know about the food as such but there are museums in the Green Bay area. Just right down there today for a "Hogs and Horses" show. Roads are good in that area at least. Carol Shellby is going to be there and judge some of the invited cars also. Got the Porta-Pottys all set up. Have a good time up here! If you drive the interstates, don't push the speed too much, stay mid-stream.
Dave

Red Ranger
08-02-2009, 09:20 AM

Thanks for the tip about West End Pizza. They are currently celebrating their 50th anniversary. Great pizza, Great service. Wound up going their twice:icon_thumby::icon_thumby:

ranger_runner
08-03-2009, 08:36 PM
If we fly into Milwaukee, I do know a stop at the Safehouse is in order. If we drive, that will be way out of the way.

dont know if you have been to the safe house before, but i would suggest not going, i went once and the place was cool but the food and service were terrible. i would never go again:dunno:

Red Ranger
08-03-2009, 08:55 PM
dont know if you have been to the safe house before, but i would suggest not going, i went once and the place was cool but the food and service were terrible. i would never go again:dunno:

It's been about 5 or 6 years since we've been there. Food and service was pretty good then, at least we were there during the dinner hour. Don't know if that mattered or not.

milje
08-04-2009, 10:51 AM
I wish I would have known people from this forum were going, I would have tried to meet up with ya. I was staying at the Best Western in Appleton, it was the closest we could get, every other year we've went we stayed in the Travelodge in Oshkosh. I gotta tell ya, the drive isn't bad from Appleton, and there was a LOT more stuff to do at night up there.

Thursday night some drunk guys paid our bill at Hooters, that was pretty sweet considering it was a $50 bill :icon_rofl:

Red Ranger
08-04-2009, 03:49 PM
We stayed in a dorm at the collage in Oshkosh. We got lucky with the temps this year, as the room we had wasn't air conditioned. All I heard for my son was "you can buy me this"!!