• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

To shimmy or not to shimmy - strange symptoms

inspectoRANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Ok today my 94 b4000 with a 4 speed started to get this wicked shimmy in it when I was under decent torque. We're talking 40% power and up all gears when hot or cold.
It's horrible like it's going to rattle the whole truck apart.
But in 4wd it's ok.

Here's the confession....
Yesterday I helped my buddy tow his boat 2 miles out of the lake. I was good and did it in 4wd low and the tow went ok. Alot of jockeying with the wheel full cut, but it seemed fine. I did struggle with learning to turn the whole truck and trailer around to get down boat ramp though. I think I burnt some clutch jockeying backwards, and I stalled it a few times.

I bought the truck used 2 months ago and have done 8k (120k total) miles no mechanical issues. The 4wd would seem to click once in awhile a quick engage and disengage and it quieted right up, hasn't done that in weeks. I have a gut feeling the tranny fluid is low. The tranny has seemed a but loud with an occasional rattle at certain rpm/torque points nothing like this shimmy though. The brackets for the leaf springs are in repair but solid. (like that matters?)

Tomorrow I'm going to check and top-off the tranny and transfer case fluid. Or should I change it?
Any fluid recommendations, I read the synthetic is no good?

Please I hope someone understands this my wife thinks that it's possessed any I angered a demon it.

Thanks for your time, patience and help.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals