• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Intermittent problem giving me hell

mousetopher

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I bought a '93 2.3L 2wd manual Ranger used with 115000 miles a couple months ago. I noticed the problem within a couple days - I'd be cruising in fourth anywhere from 45 to 55 mph and only a mile or two down the road it'd start to lose power, kind of shuddering and running really rough, and eventually stall out. In fourth gear it completely loses power and doesn't respond when I give it gas at all; at first I could downshift to third and keep it going, but sometimes it would immediately continue losing power and die. For the first month or so it started right back up after stalling, and sometimes I could pop the clutch while it was still rolling and start it back up. Generally it would run great after the stall.

So far I've changed the spark plugs and wires, air filter and fuel filter, all of which were shot. The fuel filter was completely clogged. The truck's performance increased a bit but it didn't affect the problem. I did a readout of the computer once too, and it pulled a code about the MAF sensor, but we cleared the computer and the code didn't reoccur.

The problem is very irregular and intermittent, but does seem to be getting worse. I have to drive out this winding mountain road to get to the highway, and I've never had any problem there or in the lower gears. When I first got the truck, it wouldn't stall ever single time I was cruising in fourth, just once in a while. It dies the hardest when I'm going uphill, but a couple times it's run really shitty for like a week, then gone for a little while running decently. Sometimes it'll lose power more slowly, and if I let off the gas it'll level out right at 45 and run rough for a bit, then smooth back out. Last week it was at its worst; it died hard and completely within a mile once I hit the highway, and it wouldn't start back up for a minute or two. I'd crank it would grind, and after a while I felt it kind of coming back and it started up, but idling all over the place. Shaking and all like ten times worse than it usually does when it's running rough. It did that three or four times within five-ten minutes. It's been running better and hasn't actually died since then, but once in a while when it's running great, it'll just randomly stall when I slow down to make a turn, and I can roll start it back up.

Anyways I hope someone can shed some light, or suggest somewhere to go from here. Just ask if you need more information. :p

akcskye

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
This sounds just like what my truck, Cricket was doing before it's downfall.

Check out my thread about the 1991 Ford Ranger Fuel/Carb problem and see if anything matches with your problem.

I have no resolution of yet...but Cricket did just what yours was doing before it go to how it is now.

ZackB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Might want to check the replacement fuel filter. From what I've read the latest gas will absorb water, then rust fuel components. If your gas tank is full of rust a filter won't last long.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
'89 and up all have plastic fuel tanks

Dave R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Kaiser
Transmission
Manual
Though I do hate to just toss this out as a first suggestion but, since you've already changed the plugs, wires and filters then my next suggestion would be the igniton module. It's a tough one to diagnose unless the engine quits entirely and won't restart, a classic no spark scenario, but, I don't see anything in your description that wouldn't be covered by a failing module.

Unfortunately they aren't cheap.

levi18175

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Though I do hate to just toss this out as a first suggestion but, since you've already changed the plugs, wires and filters then my next suggestion would be the igniton module. It's a tough one to diagnose unless the engine quits entirely and won't restart, a classic no spark scenario, but, I don't see anything in your description that wouldn't be covered by a failing module.

Unfortunately they aren't cheap.
I'm confused about the ignition module being the problem. Is it possible for one to gradually fault out? I was under the impression that when one goes out, it just falls flat on it face. I have a truck with a very similar scenrio, and I am wondering if it might be the pressure regulator, being as it will clear up if you manage to force more fuel through it.

mousetopher

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks everyone for your suggestions! :)

I did read about Cricket - mine never flat out refused to start though (just the one time, and I was running it hard). Lately it has been wanting to stall out on the first start, but that's probably because it's been colder(?)

I also read the thread where the ignition module was the fix. My truck definitely runs better when it's warmed up, but it'll still sometimes lose power when it's been running 30 min+; and it seems to always idle irregularly regardless if it's warm or cold.

Another thing I wanted to add, I unhooked the EGR about a month after I got the truck to give it some extra power, but then I noticed the fuel economy went to shit so I reconnected it recently. It's been running better since, about how it did when I first got it, and even moreso I can keep it from dying if I ease off when it starts to struggle.

sorry to blather. :D I'm going to look into the ignition module.

alnvilma

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
My well used '93 2.3L seemed to run better after the battery was disconnected and the module had to (re-learn?) things!

levi18175

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
My well used '93 2.3L seemed to run better after the battery was disconnected and the module had to (re-learn?) things!
I kept reading about people having a similar problem as mine. And all they did was disconnect the battery for a minute or two. I was a little confused as to why that would clear it up but I tried it, much to my surprise, my truck ran alot smoother. But then while I was driving it down the road, it ran out of gas so I pushed it about half a mile. Either way, I was still debating beating the truck with a demo crane

mousetopher

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Quick question: where's the module located on the '93 2.3?

akcskye

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If it's like on my 91, it's behind the power steering pump, I think is what my dad and hubby said. He had to remove some pump...I think it was that one, to get to it.

If yours is anything like my 91, it looks like a flat computer processor, and mine has connectors on both sides (to send fire to 2 coil packs), and it can be disconnected and tested at Autozone...at least mine was able to be.

Had that been the problem, it would have been $128.99 at Autozone for mine.

dgeorge

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75/R15
the module is located on the intake manifold behind the a/c compressor and power steering pump. Take it to Autozone and have them test it. If it tests ok then it is probably the crank position sensor, at least that is what it was when mine started acting that way.

mousetopher

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well shit, I've got nothing to lose. The module was a no go; both the coil packs checked out as well. On the plus side, I've realized that if I don't push it too hard, it'll lose power on the really big hills but can keep going. It's only when I try to force it that it dies. The occurences of its problem are actually becoming quite consistent.

Does anyone else have any suggestion?

mikesims351

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
What about an injector issue? I don't know for certain but i think that would be on my list of checks.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals