• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cant remove slave cylinder hose.

unknown1

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I have looked for the same problems as i am encountering but nothing seems to help i have a 1988 ford ranger 4x4 2.9L, the master slave to slave cylinder hose will not disconnect from the bell housing where the slave resides. There is no plastic sleeve whatsoever. Ive tried pushing the connection in but it will not move in whatsoever. I do not have the disconnect tool will it make a difference if i do not have the plastic piece that is suppose to be there and is there any solution on removing it without breaking it.

thank you for the help

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
The plastic peice is required, as when you push it in, it releases the small metal fingers that are holding the line in..

You need to get your hands on one of those plastic peices, or you'll never get it off.

I would go to a junkyard and steal one off a Ranger/BII/Explorer

Nailzs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
this line is rubber correct? its been awhile on mine....

if u cant get that plastic piece, then your only option is to cut the line and install a pressure fitting, and hope that the rubber line is thick enough to handle it. i did this on my 96 ranger with he rubber slave line and never looked back

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Pull on it really hard. I once had the line pop off when I pushed in the pedal while driving, I imagine a good tug (maybe while someone is pushing on the pedal, wear safety goggles!) would do the trick maybe?

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
https://www.dormanproducts.com/cgi-bin/vm91corp30r/item-dtl.w?sid=ibbccbclibGUjieX010493120917695599&item=628-202&icrid=&clt=hwrap1&vsrch_str=628-202&vsrch_brand=ALL&vsrch_cat=ALL&st_amount=&end_amount=&start=&vfrom=&prev=&vnext=&category_list=:0heres a link to the new part. it comes with a new plastic sleeve,o-ring and roll pin which you will need if you have to cut the hose. you may be able to get by with using a large fuel/AC line disconnect tool, but i suspect the tools thickness may be a problem.

unknown1

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
no its not rubber. ill try the junk yard does it have to be the same year? im guessing so. someone told me to just cut it in the middle and clamp it back up after. Im trying to pull the tranny out and replace it. It just needs to get me going for a bit. I pulled the master slave and tried to feed it down. But the part that connects to the master slave. The roll pin will not come out. The master and slave where both working properly before the transmission died.
Any other help would be great. And the responses here are incredibly speedy!

lol thanks

Last edited:

Nailzs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
Pull on it really hard. I once had the line pop off when I pushed in the pedal while driving, I imagine a good tug (maybe while someone is pushing on the pedal, wear safety goggles!) would do the trick maybe?
no, do NOT pull on it really hard. you could screw up te fingers that hold it in and then enver get it out, or cause it to not seal(very bad!)

no its not rubber. ill try the junk yard does it have to be the same year? im guessing so. someone told me to just cut it in the middle and clamp it back up after. Im trying to pull the tranny out and replace it. It just needs to get me going for a bit. I pulled the master slave and tried to feed it down. But the part that connects to the master slave. The roll pin will not come out. The master and slave where both working properly before the transmission died.
Any other help would be great. And the responses here are incredibly speedy!

lol thanks
if the line is metal and not rubber then seriously just take a hack saw and cut the line to get the tranny out. while the tranny is out take some emery cloth and clean up the edges and then put a simple brake line pressure fitting on it.

unknown1

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
i appreciate the help guys i really need to get it up and running its the only i got. Im curious as to what the pressure fittings look like and how long that will last.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
The line should be plastic, and do not pull on it hard, do not cut it and clamp it.

Just go to a junk yard and get a little white plastic clip and put it on your line, push it in and pull the line out. New lines run about 50$, and your not going to be succesfull in cutting it and mending it.

Nailzs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
The line should be plastic, and do not pull on it hard, do not cut it and clamp it.

Just go to a junk yard and get a little white plastic clip and put it on your line, push it in and pull the line out. New lines run about 50$, and your not going to be succesfull in cutting it and mending it.
i disagree. like i said previosly, my 96 ranger has the rubber/plastic line and it worked great, never leaked, and i had to disconnect it 3 different times.
also saw this done on a 97 b2500(think it was a 2500, it was a 4cyl anywayz) and it worked great on that too, same type of line. just my 2 cents

grdbrg

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Just cut a piece of tin from a steel can about one inch wide and two inches long and wrap it around the fitting and slide it into the gap in the connection to hold back the fingers while you pull it apart. It helps to see a new slave cylinder to know what the fingers look like inside the fitting. 94 ranger

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals