• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A4LD has Rev. but NO GO FOWARD!

inkspot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Have a '89 w/2.9 Elect. Control Transfer case, swapped out the trans with one that came out of an '87 Explorer with manual locking hubs. Have been readin what I can find and have ??'s as to wether or not this was a bad swap,(i.e. do I need to change the "Brain" out w/same year as the trans?),or is a manualy controlled transfer case/tranny differ from an electronic??
If my swap out should work, and I have the right fluid level,& linkage is adj. right, what could I look at next as to the cause of this?? Any help is GREATLY APPRECIATED!!

Fordman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
If I understand correctly...you installed an 87 tranny into an 89? The electronics is not compatable, but is a seperate issue as the no forward. You need the 89 dual solenoid valvebody installed into the 87 tranny for od to work. The no forward, start down the list of stuff. First, check the low reverse servo (the 4 bolt cover to the rear right of the valve body) for a seal/gasket failure, and that the band is in place . These bands can rotate out of position if the servo piston is removed and not checked upon reinstallation. If it isnt there, next step...pull tranny, look the od overunning roller clutch.

Have a '89 w/2.9 Elect. Control Transfer case, swapped out the trans with one that came out of an '87 Explorer with manual locking hubs. Have been readin what I can find and have ??'s as to wether or not this was a bad swap,(i.e. do I need to change the "Brain" out w/same year as the trans?),or is a manualy controlled transfer case/tranny differ from an electronic??
If my swap out should work, and I have the right fluid level,& linkage is adj. right, what could I look at next as to the cause of this?? Any help is GREATLY APPRECIATED!!

fordmandan87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
87/92/97/11
Make / Model
Ford×3/Freightl
Engine Size
/5.0/4.0/7.3/DD15
Transmission
Manual
what color was or is the fluid in the pan. was there alot of friction material?

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Make sure you have good fluid, if it's brown or burnt looking you might be out of luck.

Another thing you could try is the vacuum modulator (does that tranny have one?) might be bad.

At least that's what they said when I had the same issue. I was just low on fluid.

bcbassking

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
i did the same swap the electroics is only thr torque converter lock up . there is a problem with the tranny.

Bruce

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
He said it has reverse but no forward...does it move forward if you put tranny in manual low??

Bent Bolt

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Supercharged 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
If I understand correctly...you installed an 87 tranny into an 89? The electronics is not compatable, but is a seperate issue as the no forward. You need the 89 dual solenoid valvebody installed into the 87 tranny for od to work. The no forward, start down the list of stuff. First, check the low reverse servo (the 4 bolt cover to the rear right of the valve body) for a seal/gasket failure, and that the band is in place . These bands can rotate out of position if the servo piston is removed and not checked upon reinstallation. If it isnt there, next step...pull tranny, look the od overunning roller clutch.
Has reverse so low rev servo is ok, besides it manly for only for engine braking in MAN1.

Inkspot, more than likely the forward clutch dumped on you but try shifting to drive, then MAN2 and MAN1. If still no forward, make double sure fluid level is normal.

Did you install a new filter when you swapped trannys ?? May have buggered up the filter O-rings.

inkspot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Yes to all of the above!

Hey thanks for everyones responses, I've been on a roof project and have'nt had enough energy left at the end of the day(s)! to look into it further. Note that I did replace filter w/new and that the fluid is new as well. Used Dex/mercron stuff. It still is new lookin, inclined to agree with the possibile dumpin of the forward clucth drum, Have drain and dropped the pan and will pull the valve body tonight and do some air tests. Will try and post the results there-of.
As an added note I did a long awaited tune-up on my '87. She's a Screamin'
Demon again!:yahoo:May just make it to the 500k club after all!! Adjusted my bands as well but need to change filter and fluid ASAP as I am sure I may have gotten it wet this last spring pullin the shack off the not-so frozen lake! Should've been thinkin and done it right then. Hopin the damage isn't done already! Notin a Lg. amount of rust on the dip stick that was not there last time I had checked it. Thanks again 4 all the feeds.

inkspot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Problem Solved!

Well I thought I would let anyone who has followed this from were i started it, or to those just checking now, after much frustration and deliberation, too include swapping out 3 trannys toal! What I figure was the problem from the start of this mess I came to find after swapping out trans #2 w/a "known to be good" used one(#3 I'll call it), After completeing the re-install, was filling her with fluid(a favorite of mine!), and had had good engagement in all gears as I was moving thru them and filling to correct mark on my stick! I was within a Pint or less and Dropped her in and out of all gears, pulled the stick to find my NEW Fluid was TURNING A BRIGHT HUE OF PINK!! (Suggestive of WATER was what I recall from my schooling), So AFTER more then a few F'in hiemers shut it down, tor it down, and rebuilt #3, which was alredy sporting some evidential damage to the clutch plates, PULLED and TOSSED the RADIATOR as far as I could, Put all back in with New Radiator,Trans Cooler, and Fresh rebld of #3.Only then was I finally able to get this nightmare back to it's owner. Note that after each pull I did flush the cooler lines,(each time there was no obviuos amount of coolant!), best I figure was that there was a small yet efficient enough hole(s) in the cooler lines, that when everything was cool it wasn't leaking, until all was up to operating temps. What a spendy lesson I recieved!!! From now on I'LL be PRESSURE TESTING THE COOLER, AFTER A GOOD FLUSHING!! It SURE as hell didn't take much water at all to take down 3 trannys total!! Word to the wise for all you swamp boggers that go DEEP! Flush and fill after dipping!!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals