• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

M5OD-R1 problem

jonx4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
When I bought this truck(1993 4.0L/M5OD-R1 4x2), I was warned that 1st and 2nd gear were "out". Well, when I tried to play around with it today, I found that the shifter clicked into the positions for 1st and 2nd, but when I let out on the clutch, nothing happened. I even tried rocking the shifter back and forth between the two. Nothing.

I stuck it in 3rd, and was able to take off. 4th, 5th, and Reverse work fine. No noise, nothing.

I pulled the sight plug on the side of the transmission, and checked the fluid. it was a little bit low but there was enough in there. The fluid also looked fairly decent.

So, Im starting to wonder... could it be that the shift fork might have broken off, or something?

jonx4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Okay, I dont like digging up old threads, but I just had to post this. It may help somebody in the future.

The clutch finally gave out from starting out in 3rd gear so many times.:D

So, I pulled the transmission out, pulled the cover off, and what did I find?

No roll pin in the 1st and 2nd gear shift fork. I took one out of a parts transmission, smashed the crap out of both ends, and put it back together. Problem solved.

The symptoms was no 1st and 2nd gear(obviously) AT ALL. No noise, nothing. Also, the shifter hit the 1st gear detent, and went forward to hit the dash. If anybody else experiences the same problem, this could be it.

Taragon

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 and D60's F&R
Transmission
Manual
The question is WERE did that roll pin go?

It had to go somewhere, and you need to find it ASAP, before the tranny gets destroyed!!!

jonx4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I found it in two seperate pieces stuck to the drain plug. I had no idea what it was at the the time I drained it, but I know what it was now.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals