• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A4LD questions

Nailzs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
several a4ld questions i have that i couldnt really find definitive answers to in the tech library
1. can you use the 4.0l specs and parts from a 90-94 a4ld to rebuild and strengthen a 86-90 a4ld?
2. is a 90-94 a4ld a simple plug and play swap(as in bolts right in, no wiring necessary, uses the same plugs, the ecm will not know the difference) for a 86-90 a4ld?
3. can you use a 87 a4ld for a 88 vehicle? im leaning toward no on this one as i read that in mid 88 a 3-4 shift solenoid was added
4. how do i tell if an 88 vehicle has the 3-4 shift solenoid?

thx guys

Fordman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
1.The main differences are a 4.0 has a 4 clutch od, and a heavier low one way sprag clutch. Yes, the internals will interchange with minor things to watch for.
2. A 90 - 94 should plug-n-play on 88 to 90, but very early88 and olderhad the single solenoid.
3.No, unless you swap valvebodies
4.89 positively has 2, 87 positively has 1, but on 88 you need to pull the pan to be sure.

Fordman

several a4ld questions i have that i couldnt really find definitive answers to in the tech library
1. can you use the 4.0l specs and parts from a 90-94 a4ld to rebuild and strengthen a 86-90 a4ld?
2. is a 90-94 a4ld a simple plug and play swap(as in bolts right in, no wiring necessary, uses the same plugs, the ecm will not know the difference) for a 86-90 a4ld?
3. can you use a 87 a4ld for a 88 vehicle? im leaning toward no on this one as i read that in mid 88 a 3-4 shift solenoid was added
4. how do i tell if an 88 vehicle has the 3-4 shift solenoid?

thx guys

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Fordman,

Is there really a different A4LD for the 4.0, or are all 90 and newer A4LD's built to the same specs to be compatible with the 4.0? I can't imagine Ford building a seperate A4LD just for the 4.0L and not use it on a 2.9L.

Nailzs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
1.The main differences are a 4.0 has a 4 clutch od, and a heavier low one way sprag clutch. Yes, the internals will interchange with minor things to watch for.
2. A 90 - 94 should plug-n-play on 88 to 90, but very early88 and olderhad the single solenoid.
4.89 positively has 2, 87 positively has 1, but on 88 you need to pull the pan to be sure.

Fordman
fordman, u rock! but i have 2 more questions based upon your answers.
1. as to the internals, can u tell me what will interchange to "upgrade" the older a4ld(or, if easier, what wont interchange)
2. if i pull off the pan of my 88, what do i look for to determine if it has the 3-4 shift solenoid or not? when it comes to automatics, im never sure what im lookin at

thx!

Fordman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
My Ford 92 level tranny specs book shows the 4.0 has the heavier parts, and 3.0, 2.9, and 2.3 are equivilant. Just pulled all 2.3 guts out, and put in a 3.0 tranny, all were the same.

Fordman,

Is there really a different A4LD for the 4.0, or are all 90 and newer A4LD's built to the same specs to be compatible with the 4.0? I can't imagine Ford building a seperate A4LD just for the 4.0L and not use it on a 2.9L.

Fordman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
(1) only difference on A4LD's 92 and older as far as parts interchange are between 4.0 trannies and the others, and the 1988 running change between 1 or 2 solenoid vb's.
(2) when ya pull the pan, look where the wires run into the cast in front of the shift lever, you will either find 1 or 2 small slot car motor looking steel round thingies, the solenoids. If theres only one, its the convertor solenoid. If there is two, front is convertor, rear is od.

fordman, u rock! but i have 2 more questions based upon your answers.
1. as to the internals, can u tell me what will interchange to "upgrade" the older a4ld(or, if easier, what wont interchange)
2. if i pull off the pan of my 88, what do i look for to determine if it has the 3-4 shift solenoid or not? when it comes to automatics, im never sure what im lookin at

thx!

Fordman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Also, there are two main rebuild kits, 85 to 89 (I believe), and late 89 to 95. The differences were a couple seal changes, and some clutchs were made thicker. If you interchange a clutch drum that took thin clutches, and use thick ones, clearences are wrong and it will fail, and visa versa the clearences will be too great, usually starting as a spinup or flare on shift, then failure. I kinda think the big reason rebuilds often fail, are that a newer kit gets used in an older tranny, or visa versa.

Fordman,

HndMeDnBroncoII

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
BroncoII
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hey ford man where ya located wann rebuild an a4ld lol!

Nailzs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
yay my tranny has the 2 shift solenoids! so fordman, just to confirm, i can use a a4ld out of a 91-94 4.0l and with the exception of swapping over the bellhousing, i can rebuild and swap it in with no problems right? just take the old out and put the new in?

Fordman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Yep. As for bellhousing, the 4.0 and 2.9 are same bolt pattern. 2.3/2.5 are their own, as is 3.0.

yay my tranny has the 2 shift solenoids! so fordman, just to confirm, i can use a a4ld out of a 91-94 4.0l and with the exception of swapping over the bellhousing, i can rebuild and swap it in with no problems right? just take the old out and put the new in?

Fordman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
correction...4.0 has a 4 clutch forward clutch, not the od.

Fordman

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals