• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1987 B2 Blue LED DashLights How-to.

Syko

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Original Poster: Syko

Difficulty: 3 out of 10

Time to install: 20-45 mins

Disclaimer: The Ranger Station.com, The Ranger Station.com Staff, nor the original poster are responsible for you doing this modification to your vehicle. By doing this modification and following this how-to you, the installer, take full responsibility if anything is damaged or messed up. If you have questions, feel free to PM the original poster or ask in the appropriate section of The Ranger Station.com forums.

Brief Explanation: Installing Blue LED's to change the color of the DashLights and Heater Controls in a 1987 bronco 2.

Tools Needed:
2 Screw Drivers 1 slotted and 1 phillips

Parts Needed:
4 Blue 12V WLED Miniature Wedge Base bulbs

Steps:
1. Disconnect the battery!

2. Remove the 4 top screws of the instrument panel trim using a Phillips screw driver.

3.a Remove the 3 peaces of fascia and the Ash tray, Exposing the bottom 4 screws of the intrument panel trim. 3 screws to the right and 1 to the left of the steering wheel.

3.b For the peace of fascia on the left of the steering wheel you will need to remove the headlamp nob, Use the slotted screw driver to press on the tab to slide the nob off.

4. Remove the 4 screws and take out the instrument panel trim.

5. Remove the 4 screws holding the intrument cluster.

6. Disconnect the Speedometer cable from the back of the intrument cluster using a slotted screw driver, press on the tab closest to the cluster. I found this easier to do with the fuse panel off as you have to reach back there.

7. Disconnect the 2 wiring harness connector by pressing on each end of the connectors this will get them off.

8. Locate the 3 instrument cluster lights which need to be changed. Twist and pull them out and replace with the LED's

Blue - 3 lights which will be replaced
Red - 2 wiring harness's
Black - speedometer cable

9. This is the tricky part as electricity only flows threw LED's 1 way, If you put them in the wrong way they will not light up. I figured out what way they went by hooking the battery back up and testing them one at a time.

10. Now for the heater controls, remove the 4 screws holding the heater controls in. Replace the 1 light bulb with an LED bulb.

11. Install is the reverse of the removal procedure.

Good luck and enjoy

Thanks,
Syko

Last edited:

Syko

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey, Thanks my first writeup so if there is anything confusing just tell me.

Thanks,
Syko

TheNicky

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Nice Writeup... Its even a how to on getting the cluster out lol GOOD STUFF!

Where did you get those bulbs?

And do they come in red?

Syko

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The ones I bought were on ebay. Just type in "10pcs inverted LED" on ebay and you will find them and I have seen red ones.

Thanks,
Syko

TheNicky

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks Syko YOUUUU DAAAA MANNNN!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals