• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

ABS / Brake Idiot lights

JD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hi guys - I did a front brake overhaul (pads, rotors, calipers & lines) around June and everything has worked fine. Now for the past few weeks my ABS & Parking Brake warning light keep coming on when I apply the brakes. I don't notice any difference in brake performance or response - Any ideas?

mossyoak03

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
drive it till the wheels fall off

JD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Update

So I guess those idiot lights are named so for a reason...you're (I'm) an idiot if you blow them off! :nono:

Keeping my original post in mind - Had to lay on the brakes pretty hard going about 55 mph and the brakes went out! The LR line blew, pedal right to the floor and missed the car in front of me by less that a foot. My best guess is that the line must have been seeping just enough to trigger the ABS/BRAKE idiot lights? The pinhole leak was about a 1/2 inch from the rear brake brass splitter block and was obviously due to rust-through.

Other than getting the old parts off, a very easy DIY. This was also a good opportunity to inspect & grease the spare tire carrier which has never been used. As a result, it was rusted bad, the hinges were seized up and I snapped-off the support bar eye bolt which holds the spare tire in place. Probably something you don't want to wrestle with when that less-then-opportune time comes. :icon_thumby:

jarz21

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
After replacing the brake line, are the lights off? My '92 Ranger has both of the brake warning lights on, and that corresponds to a bad rear ABS valve. I double-checked this by testing the code (briefly grounding the black/orange wire under the dash and watching the Rear Anti-lock brake light flash).

Kevin in PA

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
So I guess those idiot lights are named so for a reason...you're (I'm) an idiot if you blow them off! :nono:

Keeping my original post in mind - Had to lay on the brakes pretty hard going about 55 mph and the brakes went out! The LR line blew, pedal right to the floor and missed the car in front of me by less that a foot.
Your not an idiot if your brakes fail cause you pressed the brakes to hard. There should be no way that you could rupture a line with the amount of force that you can generate from the drivers seat. The fact that you did simply means that it was already failing through no fault of yours.

Also, i think my brake line blew in exactly the same place. difference was that i was doing 85mph!

Last edited:

JD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
After replacing the brake line, are the lights off? My '92 Ranger has both of the brake warning lights on, and that corresponds to a bad rear ABS valve. I double-checked this by testing the code (briefly grounding the black/orange wire under the dash and watching the Rear Anti-lock brake light flash).

Kevin in PA
Yes - both the ABS & Brake lights are off now. Maybe your sensor is getting bad? For the cost it would be worth changing and it's very easy to get to.

JD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
your not an idiot if your brakes fail cause you pressed the brakes to hard. there should be no way that you could rupture a line with the amount of force that you can generate from the drivers seat. the fact that you did simply means that it was already failing through no fault of yours.

also, i think my brake line blew in exactly the same place. difference was that i was doing 85mph!
Ya, I was just thinkin' out loud that if that light is rearing it's ugly head it might be worth a closer look...that brake fluid sprayed everywhere!

Your Ranger goes 85 !? :pray:

MA Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
jarz21 - did you check the electrical connector to the rear antilock brake valve? I had both the red and orange antilock brake warning lights come on my '94 Ranger after the brakes were bled. After I plugged the connector in securely, both lights went out.

MountainMike

Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
245 CID
Transmission
Automatic
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
My credo
The fun begins where the pavement ends
Simple stupid question... fluid is good and topped up?

lilREDranger96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
who cares your brakes work lol just be glad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals