• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A4ld skips second gear

twstdmonkey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Well I have skimmed through a bunch of the threads and have not found my ansewer yet. I have an 88 ranger 4x4 with the infamous a4ld trans. It works great when it first starts up but after a couple minutes it wont shift into second gear. I have to let off the gas and it will shift to third and be fine. Has anyone had this problem and what do I need to do to fix it.

Bruce

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Could possibly be a broken intermediate band, or the intermediate servo. If it shift 1-2 alright when its cold i would lean more to the servo getting hard and when trans is cold fluid is a little thicker then when fluid warms up gets thinner and wont move the servo.

twstdmonkey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Servo

Is the servo replaceable in the truck or does the trans need to be removed. Where do I find the servo?

Bruce

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Servo is on the passenger side second 1 back from bell housing..yes servo is replaceable but not sure if you have enough room to get it out. There are different sizes of servo like a BB or AB but it is marked on the cover i would probably go to FORD to get 1 dont know if parts houses have them.

twstdmonkey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks

Bruce I got the servo out with trans in truck just had to remove the cat and drop the back of the trans a little to get the snap ring out. I think you were right about the servo. It seems to me that the material has hardened up feels more like a plastic then rubber. Found a new servo on ebay will have it next week. I have one more question. My trans fluid is pretty bad and I was wondering is there a trick to get the fluid out of the torqconverter? Mine has no drain plug. Thanks For the great advice. Lewis

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals