• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

bagging an 04

whtout

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
anyone do this? if so how and what kit/fab did you use/do? I'm looking to laying my ranger on it frame but still be able to cruise alaska roads.

Thanks

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
I'm C&Ping this from RPS..

Front bag mounts---- These will be in the form of some sort of "cups" Some companies use all thread to bolt them in, some don't but all are usually the same. 5 inch diameter tube on top of a round circle bag plate. Somewhere in the 3 inch top and 2 inch bottom range.

Rear bag mounts--- most people fabricate up some nice mounts out of tubing, 1/4 plate, etc... or just buy a univeral set... either way you gotta have em.

8 inch + monster notch-- if ya wanna lay frame like the bad boys do you need a rear frame notch-- This can be fabricated, or bought. Usually comes in 8 pieces for around the 50.00 mark plus shipping. Requires welding skillz.

2 Link, 3 link, 4 link---- most recomended is a 4 link, b/c of pinoon angle changes, geometry etc... This allows the back to get down on the ground. installation of the 3 or 4 link requires removal/relocation of the gas tank unless its a parrelell 4 link.

The 98+ trucks have a low hanging trans crossmember. This can be replaced by a bolt in unit from 3rdshiftkustoms.com or a custom one from 515 Customs.

Air management sytem-- bags, valves, air lines, fittings, tank, compressor guages, and switches. These parts can be bought seperately or in a packeage deal.

Fuel cell-- if you wanna lay out you have to move the fuel tank. This requires the use of a fuel cell with stock pump mounted in it or reloaction of the stock tank.

One alternative way to get your truck down is by doing a Z of the front frame rails. This is a lot of work and I have yet to gather good info on this mod.

Some of the parts listed above can be fabricated if you have competent welding and metal working skillz, just be sure to use appropriate materials.

Baging your ride does require some metal working skills (welding cutting etc...), good knowledge of how the suspension works, Plumbing skills for running air lines, and electrical wiring to wire it all up. Oh and it does help to have a friend on hand.
KP Components Also sells a bolt on rear kit. They sell a gas tank crossmember also that raises your tank, but I would still recommend going with a Fuel cell because your tank is going to hit the ground whenever you lay out, NOT SAFE.

Last edited:

bluovaldude

Reaction score
I am almost finished, for now, with my 2005. I lays Tranny crossmember.
You need purty much what ZMAN posted, and the site he got it from is a great site for all your questions also.
I got all of my parts from Suicidedoors.com, they were purty helpful too. There are really alot of ways to setup the rear so you could do just about anything out back.

Are you wanting to do a bolt on setup or do you have welding skills to do some fabrication ?

whtout

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
It doesn't matter. I'm very much a novice welder and have access to an array of welders and supplies.

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
Unfortunatly there are no bolt-on step notches for rangers so you'd have to do some welding to lay frame with the KP kit anyway.

bluovaldude

Reaction score
Well I will definitely say make sure you plan out your build, and spend your money right.

Either way you are going to either move the gas tank or buy a fuel cell.

If you want to go an esier but a bit more expensive route, Go with the KP components 4 or 6 link, All bolt on with some minor work with a grinder and cut off wheel.

The kit does say it comes with a raised gas tank x memeber but it will not bring it up high enough for you to lay out.

If you want to do some welding then get a universal 4 link from your company of chioce, I got my kit from Suicide Doors, it was the super pivots, allows for more articulation.

With the universal you are going to need to make a crossmember to mount the front of the bars to and it will need to clear the drive shaft at full drop.

So depending on the route, time, money and skills you can do things any way you would like.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals