• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1992 4cyl manual trans noise

gjm4l

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4cyl
Transmission
Manual
I'm sure the information I'm about to ask for is posted somewhere but they're pretty specific questions so I'm just going to ask:D I have a 1992 Ranger with the 2.3L and 5 speed trans. The trans has a fairly high pitched whine while under power in 1st, 2nd, 3rd and in 5th. But not in 4th. I think that its the front countershaft bearing from what I can find this is a pretty common problem. Any other ideas or is this a good diag? Also there is a constant loose grinding noise at the front of the trans at any rpm, any gear even neutral. It only goes away when the clutch is depressed. I'm thinking worn throwout bearing? It could possibly be something in the actual clutch assembly but I suppose I won't know until I get the chance to pull the trans. I'm just hoping to get some feedback on my ideas for what my trans noises could be? Any help or info would be appreciated before I tear into it!

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
From what you can find?

from where would that be?

In nearly 20years I have seen ONE bad coutershaft bearing and
that one was a rear with over 200k miles on it.

The "noise that disappears in 4th" is a CLASSIC symptom not of
a countershaft bearing, but the "Pocket bearing".

The "Pocket bearing" is the little bearing that supports the pilot of the
mainshaft/output-shaft in the "pocket" in the back of the input gear...

When they fail it's usually a result of oil starvation, often low oil level,
but more often it's debris , usually chips of failed shifter pivot bushings
that get chewed up by the gears and block the tiny turbine pump
that pumps oil out of the front bearing retainer through two small
holes in the input-shaft and into the pocket bearing.

But that bearing does simply die of "old age", by spalled bearing rollers etc...

AD

gjm4l

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4cyl
Transmission
Manual
Sorry, should have said find out. I've talked to a few local repair shops and they said it was a common problem, one man even showed me the "tool" he had crafted to facilitate replacing a front countershaft bearing since he did so "many". but I wasn't sure, which is exactly why I posed the question. The way I thought it out made sense to me but I wanted to be sure before I did any repairs. So would this pocket bearing also cause the second noise or am I sort of on the right track with that?? And are either/both of these a fairly basic fix or am I looking at either a tranny overhaul or replacement? The truck does have 135000 miles on it lol. Thank you for your help on the subject:icon_thumby:

Nick

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
IF someone told me they had a tool that would remove a Mazda Input bearing
My Bullshit detector would go into self-destruct overload.

As for a countershaft bearing removal tool? it's a "so what"
If you remove the bearing retainer inside the bellhousing
and stand the trans on it's bellhousing the bearing falls out....

IF it's REALLY making a noise it's REALLY gotta come apart.

AD

gjm4l

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4cyl
Transmission
Manual
I'm no transmission guru but it IS making a noise so I guess its time for it to come apart. I'll start with your recommendation and check for possibilities on the other noise too. Hopefully it won't be too major as this is the DD:sad:

As for the "tool" I mentioned I think the fella said something about it allowed him to get the countershaft bearing out without dropping the trans? Like I said I'm no transmission man but pretty sure thats what he told me:dunno:

Anyway thanks again for your help!!!!

Nick

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The second noise you where talking about is probably the throwout bearing. If you just put your foot on the pedal and the noise goes away, it is definatly the throwout.
The "Homemade" tool is for the output shaft bearing. That bearing must be removed to dissassemble the trans and there is no actual tool available.

gjm4l

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4cyl
Transmission
Manual
Ok good thats what I figured that 2nd noise was. Thanks for the help and info Mutant Pony:icon_thumby:

rangerstzz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985-1992
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3-2.9
Transmission
Manual
{"The second noise you where talking about is probably the throwout bearing. If you just put your foot on the pedal and the noise goes away, it is definatly the throwout."}

Wrong, the t/o bearing isn't doing a darn thing with the pedal up except adding useless weight to your vehicle, however, step on the clutch pedal and the t/o bearing goes to work which means if the t/o bearing was bad, it would make noise with the pedal depressed, your noise's are trans bearings.

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
i've been driving mine like this for 3 and a half years. just swap in a different trans when you do a clutch

gjm4l

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4cyl
Transmission
Manual
ok so i have a wrecked 88 ranger with a 2.0 carbed engine. does anyone know if the trans would bolt into my 92 with the 2.3? or if it wouldnt be too complicated/expensive to adapt it:icon_confused:

gjm4l

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4cyl
Transmission
Manual
anybody? any ideas?

kkjb4x4.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Transmission
Manual
Mine had the same problem,,Despite Allan D's advise , the input shaft bearings can and do wear out and will whine in every gear but 4th. That being said , much cheaper to find a good used trans than have someone repair it for you. I took mine out and did everything myself but repair the trans and it cost me way too much,, but parts cost far more here in Canada than the U.S... good luck.

gjm4l

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4cyl
Transmission
Manual
Ok one more try I don't wanna start a new thread. Does anybody know if I can bolt up an 88' 5 speed that was bolted to a 2.0 carbed engine to my 92' 2.3?

fsmall23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
To my knowledge it would work, 1988 on up, ford used the M5OD R1 trans as their 5 speed manuals. Since a 2.3 and 2.0 are the same block, just a different bore, I would pretty much guarantee a direct bolt up.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals