• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Throttle position sensor ? install correctly?

quick_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hey all, I have a 1988 ranger 4x4.
I recently rebuilt this 2.9L, replaced heads with newer style. I had a miss in the ignition that I could not figure out. I was told it may be the TPS. So I changed it and it lit up the check engine light. To my surprise though it then ran with no miss. I waited a little bit and noticed that it would go in and out of the check engine light mode, revving high and miss a cyl. when it was not triggering the light. It would come back to idle and not miss when it lit the check engine light. So I unplugged the TPS and it did not miss fire any more, but now I have no throttle response and the light is still on obviously. So I was wondering if anyone else had come across similar symptoms with their 2.9L.

Is there a certain way you have to install these?

Thanks for the help

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Is there a certain way you have to install these?

Thanks for the help
Since you have a CEL present, you should pull codes.

There's slight resistance on the TPS from the butterfly, it is possible that it got twisted the wrong way?

Check the voltage. The ground is pretty obvious, you'll have a 5v+ ref voltage, and another voltage that's adjusted. The TPS is basically a potentiometer. The base voltage on the other wire should be around at idle ~.998v+ and should sweep smoothly on an analog voltmeter to ~5v+ when take the throttle body to WOT.

Pete

Last edited:

quick_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks Pete, ill try that tommorrow and let everyone know where it goes from there.
thanks again

BigTirez

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a 2.8L in my 84 and wondering what is the difference, if any, between the TPS and the Idle Speed Control Actuator\Solenoid (ISC). Are they the same thing? I am really having trouble getting my idle speed low enough to pass emissions testing and SKIPPY faxed me some information that involved adjusting the position of the ISC.

Any help would be great guys.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals