• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I have a few questions about the 3.0L

XLTbeater

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I bought a 1992 Ford Ranger with a 3.0L V6 back in June. I have had a few small problems with the truck since I got it. 1) The temperature guage doesn't work which in turn trips the check engine light (I think). Where do I find the temp sensor port on the engine? I think it is next to the T-Stat housing, but I am not sure. 2) I go to scan the computer for other problems, but my OBD I Actron scanner won't fit into the port under the dash. Is this the place to plug into the computer? Or is the Chiltons manual wrong? 3) I can't seem to find too many aftermarket parts for the old (my engine) 3.0L V6s. I would really like to get some headers to replace those "logs" with holes in them of an exhaust manifold. Do I have to make up a set of headers, or did I miss something searching for a pair?

Thanks in advance for any help with these problems.

XLTbeater

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
JBA makes headers for the 3.0.
Underdog underdrive pullies.
There isn't to much for the 3.0....
As for the 3.0 engine wise, it is a very good strong engine, easy to work on, and very reliable. It also likes high rpm's and is a high rev engine by design. Peak tourqe is at 3,000 and it's hp is above that. Rev it up when you want to go. As for the temp sensor: driver side of the thermostat housing, mounted in the intake manifold.

XLTbeater

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Thanx for the input. I was seriously going to get famliar with building headers. I just want to see a gain in MPG.

XLTbeater

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The biggest problem with a 3.0 lies in the intake manifold. Headers don't do much because the stock exhaust can flow everything the intake can supply. There are bigger cams available as well but, until someone comes out with a better intake, non of those parts will do much.
You could spend $2000 on all the aftermarket parts available and gain about 10-15h.p.
OR
You could just learn how to run it at a higher Rpm than your used to and enjoy it.
If you're getting bad mileage that probably has to do with the check engine light.
Also if you are lugging the engine a lot you will get bad mileage. Get those r's up.

Last edited:

XLTbeater

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
My Ranger runs smoothly and gets pretty good gas mileage. I haven't calculated it yet, but I know that it is a little better than my mom's stock Crown Vic; and that gets crazy good gas mileage for a V8. In my experience, headers have always proved to increase the MPGs of all the vehicles that I have installed them on. I will also hook up a tach one day as well, to see where I am at with revs in the Ranger. I have been going by the sound and feel of the engine when driving the truck.

XLTbeater

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
An upgrade to the intake is putting a '98+ intake on, and port it out. You'll need the throttle body, IAC, throttle cable, and vacuum lines along with it.

An underdrive is a decent upgrade for the 3.0l also, and you can get a full set of pullies if you're worried about your alternator or water pump.

http://www.stuffforyourranger.com/

Last edited:

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
The temp GUAGE sensor has NOTHING to do with the computer.

The computer has it's own temp sensor located near the guage sensor.

The Guage sensor has a single stud with a slip on connection.

The computer's Engine Coolant Temp (ECT) sensor has a weatherpack
connector (with two pins)

AD

XLTbeater

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
The temp GUAGE sensor has NOTHING to do with the computer.

The computer has it's own temp sensor located near the guage sensor.

The Guage sensor has a single stud with a slip on connection.

The computer's Engine Coolant Temp (ECT) sensor has a weatherpack
connector (with two pins)

AD
I guess it's the guage sensor because I get nothing from the temp guage itself. It just doesn't work. After about 15-20 minutes of driving the check engine light comes on. Since my Actron (the one for EEC IV computers) diagnostic tool doesn't fit into the computer port under the dash, which is where I assume you connect to the computer, I can't get any codes to see where and what my problem is. I'll probably have to bring it down to an auto mechanic to get the codes read and then fix the problem myself. Thanks for the help guys:).

XLTbeater

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
your diagnostics port should be under the hood, near the "power distribution box". not under the dash.

XLTbeater

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Kewl!!! I'll take another look by the power distr. box and see if I can find the connection. Too bad my Chiltons doesn't say where it is:mad:.

XLTbeater

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals